Need Advice On Upgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its good that you have a PCIe slot. This gives us somewhere to improve. How much money are you willing to spend to upgrade?

For any dedicated card you are going to need a new psu, but how much psu you need is determined by how much video card you want. Two safe options are:

Newegg.com - POWERCOLOR AX4850 512MD3-PPH Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

and

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

this should solve your gaming issues no problem. The only question is, are you willing to invest that much? If not lets us know so we can find something else.

I didn't want to spend more then $150 so what you suggested, although would be awesome, I can't afford. New Egg doesn't ship to Canada from what I understand, and it would just be a hassle shipping something back to them if I needed too. I would more then likely order from

TigerDirect.ca

If you can find a good combination on that site for me that would be helpful.

I noticed there are better deals for the most part on GeForce cards compared to Radeon cards, do I have to use a Radeon ? I guess it would make sense to stick with what I have, sorry for so many questions, just trying to learn and improve my PC.

Yes, I was hoping to keep the GPU & PSU under $150 CAD. Thanks for telling me about that NCIX.com , I never heard of it. I have a couple questions before I make a decision.

How can I find out exactly what type of motherboard I have ?

Is it all personal preference if someone uses a GeForce or Radeon card ? Or does it all depend on my motherboard ?

Are the Radeon HD3850 cards better then the GeForce 9600 cards ?

The HD 3850 is a little slower than a 9600GSO, the HD 3870 is the same performance as the 9600GT

zmatt, I think what you suggested looks like a good combination:

NCIX.com - Buy Diamond Viper Radeon HD 3850 512MB Dual Slot GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDCP HDMI HDTV Out Video Card - 3850PE3512O In Canada.

NCIX.com - Buy OCZ StealthXStream OCZ500SXS 500W ATX12V 24PIN Active PFC ATX Power Supply 120MM Fan Black - OCZ500SXS In Canada.

my only question is, why is this OCZ power supply less money and a higer wattage then the Corsair you suggested in your first post ? I like the looks of that Corsair, but it looks big. Is there a standard size for PSU's and will I have any problems fitting them in my case ? I've heard of people having problems with PSU size, and I couldn't find any specs on the size of those PSU's.

The OCZ just has an MIR, and watts don't matter, as there are plenty of garbage 800w PSU's that are really cheap. (XION for example)

What is MIR ?

And will I have problems with compatibility, I was reading another post where someone was asking about upgrading there Acer so they could play games, they wanted to intall a PSU & GPU just like me and there responses he got was he couldn't because Acer motherboards weren't meant to be upgraded or something.

How can I check to make sure the hardware you suggested will work with my computer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom