Will this make a good gaming PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeh get 64bit - 32bit can utilize all of the 4gigs.

Also, upgrade that hard drive to something like a 500gig Seagate 7200.11 - they are quite a bit faster than the older 7200.10 ones and i think thats what all the 320gig drives are.

You need to upgrade your power supply to run a HD 4850. I recomend the Corsair 450vx.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

You will not be able to overclock because the bios on pre built systems is locked.

Personally, I do not think the performance increase of getting 64bit and 4gb of ram is worth the cost increase since you already have 32bit. You would be better off keeping your current os, 2gb of ram, and your current hard drive and getting a new motherbard and case to give you more room to upgrade.

Trying to improve a prebuilt system is never fun. OEMs use crap cases, crap ram, crap mobos, crap psus, the cheapest cpus they can get. In short almsot everything is lowest bidder.

The motherboard is the foundation of a pc. If the mobo is crummy then you can expect a lot of headaches down the road. No overclocking, not enough expansion slots, not enough sata ports, the list goes on.

My advice to you. How much do you want to upgrade it? If you want a performance cpu, killer video card and a nice 3d mark score be ready to throw out a lot of parts and spend some cash.

If you just want to get a reasonable video card then be sure to grab a psu that will take it. Puddle has a good pic there, Corsair's psus are top notch all the way.

Figure out what you want out of your pc and we can help you a great deal.

I hope you haven't bought your parts yet. It is never a good idea to buy performance parts and hope they work with a prebuilt system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom