Video card problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the onboard still enabled in the bios? One reason why the old card would be messed up would be seeing the display set to onboard and not the PCI/AGP setting there. The onboard would naturally work well it was left enabled once the card was removed.

How would I disable it in the BIOS?

intel desktop board d915gag/d915psy Thats my motherboard inside this computer
I got this video card

This is the second video card and the computer isnt recognizing it. Im not too sure on what to do now. I uninstalled my old drivers and all that. In the BIOS under advanced options all I got are onboard lan controller, onboard lan rom, onboard 1394 controller, onboard audio controller, parallel port, and mode. I am sorta newb at this. Would you guys need my BIOS version? I don't know what to do anymore. :( I want it to work :( Anything you guys can suggest or help with i'd forever be grateful.

The manual even if you need to look that up at the support will outline how to set AGP as the default and to go about any other setting in the bios for this if you are not familiar with going in there on your own. It only takes a quick trip for this.

Your bios is most likely at the factory setting seeing onboard enabled and PCI not AGP set as the default display. Once you have that set correctly a quick trip into the device manager to right click and disable the integrated graphics item found under display adapters will insure no drivers for the onboard are left active.

I updated the BIOS today and I have a ton of new options, but I have no idea what to enable/disable all that. If anybody could help me. I would so be appreciative. I been trying to figure it out but cannot. :(

The online manuals have no reference to the bios whatsoever being typical of Sony. :rolleyes: The support page for that model including a link for contacting the tech staff if you no longer have the user manual is seen at Sony eSupport - VGC-RB30 - Manuals / Specs / Warranty

Being a discontinued model the information is scarce! But you would simply browse through the sections like Integrated Peripherals and Advanced for setting the PCI/AGP to AGP.

On many prebuilds that will automatically disable the onboard. You then right click on the integrated graphics item in the display adapters catagory in the device manager and select the disable option there to prevent drivers for the onboard from still being loaded and clashing with those for the card installed.

There is no Integrated Peripherals sections. Maybe I can take a picture of my bios and post it here so you can check it out? Cuz I am clueless when it comes to BIOS. I got a lot of new options today by updating it though.

There should something very much similiar not being familiar with what bios is on there. But you won't have to worry about any bios settings. When going further through the faq sections at the support site and finding a search box to enter terms the following was found for disabling onboard video on several models including yours.

"How to disable onboard video controller when adding a new video card to the desktop computer.
Solution

The onboard video controller will be automatically disabled when a new video card is detected." View Document

As suspected and seen on many prebuilds is the automatic detection and disable of the onboard there once you install a separate card. You will still want to go into the device manager however to prevent any drivers from being loaded by simply disablling the onboard item there.

So I took the video card out and packed it back up, but what I should do is 1. put the video card back in
and then
2. use my monitor on the onboard and then disable? or what order should I do this in? Because I don't know what to do anymore. Do I need to bother with the bios anymore?
I took the card out and all that, but I am willing to give it 1 more try with a step by step help. It should be working withe evrtything i did, but maybe its just 1 stupid thing i did wrong or out of order. plz help <3

If nothing works I was thinking of getting this card Newegg.com - PNY VCG96512GXPB GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards any thoughts?

There should something very much similiar not being familiar with what bios is on there. But you won't have to worry about any bios settings. When going further through the faq sections at the support site and finding a search box to enter terms the following was found for disabling onboard video on several models including yours.

"How to disable onboard video controller when adding a new video card to the desktop computer.
Solution

The onboard video controller will be automatically disabled when a new video card is detected." View Document

As suspected and seen on many prebuilds is the automatic detection and disable of the onboard there once you install a separate card. You will still want to go into the device manager however to prevent any drivers from being loaded by simply disablling the onboard item there.
Also, my video card IS NOT being detected so how the **** do I put it in to make it so it IS being detected? I put it in the right slot where my old card was and I put the connected in it on the back of the card. The fan is also spinning on the card so I know it is getting power. I wanna fix this because if this card isnt being detected then I am worried even if I downgrade to something less excellent that it wont be detected either. :(

A card not being detected by the bios itself long before Windows loads can only mean one of three things as a rule.

1)The first is a need to reseat the card down fully in case it should be lifted up in the slot just a little.

2)The second is a bad card needing to be returned due to defect.

3)The third and last is the worst where you now are seeing a bad slot on the board itself.

With more then one card not being detected I doubt but still can't rule out two bad cards with the new one simply being defective while the old one likely went doa on you. First try reseating the card to see if it works then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom