Old PSU = Free Heatsinks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drizzt

Fully Optimized
Newegg.com - Swiftech MCW8800 M21: black anodized aluminum
M14: Forged C110 copper Heatsinks only - Memory & Chipset Cooling

I was just looking through some deals and I found this one that expired, but for fun I read the reviews and saw this.

Other Thoughts: my secret tip is.,if you have a worn out power supply . just tear the thing apart and get the aluminum mosfit heat sinks and cut them with a hacksaw or dremmel tool .and they are easy to cut into small pieces..and just use the artic silver 5 thermal adhesive to stick them wherever needed

Worth a try? I got old psu's lying around that I don't use :p some of them I use to prop up my stuff :laughing:

Before you touch it make sure it hasn't been touched, the capacitors in there hold hundreds of volts for months

Volt meter across the capacitors.

I don't understand why/what its for though. I haven't really seen the insides, but I don't understand how they'll act as heatsinks........ or where you'll put them.

I think it's a joke, the heatsinks are pretty usesless...

guts1024.jpg

It's not hard to open a PSU if you are careful. If you need to drain the caps, short them out. You can probably use a screwdriver or something to do this, but be sure to insulate yourself (thick rubber gloves, hold a plastic handled screwdriver by the plastic part, and definitely don't touch anything between the two leads of the capacitor, as that is where the voltage will be flowing). You can also use a wire and touch it to both ends, but again be very careful to insulate yourself from it.

I haven't had to drain any capacitors because I don't mess with the mainboard, every time I've opened a PSU it was to work on the fans (either salvage fans from a dead PSU, swap a loud or bad fan with a new one, or test a noisy fan to see if it is hitting something).

I think it's a joke, the heatsinks are pretty usesless...

Actually they would come in handy to an electronic hobbyist. I remember super gluing an old heatsink to the top of my brand new 486/33 because I thought it should have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom