Computer Randomly Shuts Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

will h4x 4 food

Daemon Poster
Hello,

I have been experiencing random shut downs/restarts (as if someone pulled the plug) and I'm wondering what you all think the problem could be. My OC is 3 hours stable in Prime95, yet I could have my computer idling and it will randomly restart. One time it just shut off and I couldn't even turn it back on till it decided to turn itself on 5 min later. here are the voltages:

Vcore - 1.32
VTT - 1.31
NB - 1.41
FSB @ 400

all the rest are defaults....I REALLY hope it's not the motherboard. I just ordered a Corsair TX750, so hopefully that solves the problem. My current PSU doesn't even have an 8pin mobo connector, which may be the reason for random shut downs. Thanks in advance!

Well usually this happens due to following reasons
1. Problem with PSU
2. Overheating...Fan issues
3. Bad memory. ( Usually blue screens than restart)

Sam.

If its just randomly turning off, not giving a BSOD or restart, it could be the power supply. It could also be a crappy power outlet. I make sure to keep mine plugged into a UPS just for power filtering because the outlet i have it plugged into has a tendancy to sag from time to time.

Ok, well I know it's not overheating. I also haven't even had a BSOD and I ran a memory diagnostic and everything seems alright. I'm gonna run it on it's default clocks for a day and see if it happens. Maybe my PSU just can't handle that extra 0.2v....

I have all 6 USB ports in use, I wonder if that would cause anything. Maybe I need to raise the SB voltage?

my pc is doing just the same thing, sometimes it will go a whole day without doing it and somedays it will do it once maybe twice.
dont know if our problem is the same but my pc is bog standard in just about all ways, not OC or anything, only thing different in it is the graphics card

my pc is doing just the same thing, sometimes it will go a whole day without doing it and somedays it will do it once maybe twice.
dont know if our problem is the same but my pc is bog standard in just about all ways, not OC or anything, only thing different in it is the graphics card

So everything in your computer is the same as mine except the graphics card? I've come to believe that it's the 4pin connector on my PSU. I think I need an 8pin for OCing quad cores.

nooo not what i meant, my pc setup is like 4 years old. what i meant was the only thing i have changed in my pc is the graphics card.
Where as you have obviously done a **** of alot more.
I been reading up about the problem and apparently its likely to be either overheating (i did take my pc apart and rebuild it recently) or various faulty parts.

I had the same problem. My issue was that the heatsink and fan for the CPU wasnt fitted all the way down (intel stocks are a bugger to get in) and the temps where in the high 90's. It was shutting down to prevent any harm coming to it.

Are you sure its not the temps, you are using some kind of temp software such as coretemp to read the temps and not from the bios arnt you?.
Thats where I went wrong. In the bios it read as low 30's. But the bios isnt exactly demanding. When I used the temp monitoring software it came up as the high 90's.

You dont need an 8pin for quads, I have OC'ed mine with the standard 4 pin which is needed to 2.8 on stock cooling, and will take it further once I buy better coolers for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom