Problem with HDD and CDD on same IDE cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

happypandaface

Beta member
My motherboard only has one IDE port, and I want to use a Hard drive and a Disk drive on it. I have an IDE ribbon with three IDE connectors on it (including the one that connects to the motherboard). When this ribbon is only connected to my Hard Drive my OS will load fine, and everything works. But when I attach my CD drive it ALWAYS tries to boot from the CDD, no matter what. I've gone into setup, and the boot menu and all that. How do I make it boot from the Hard Drive? I think it may have something to do with the Master/Slave settings with the jumpers, but my HDD's picture explaining the jumper positions has worn off, so I don't know what position its in. And I don't know what position it should be in. Can anyone help me?

I had the same problem before. Just try swapping connectors, like try putting the connector that is in the hdd to the cd drive. Mine has 3 different connectors and are colored different. Blue connector is for the System, Gray connector for Slave, and Black connector for Master.

Well make sure the master slave configurations are done correctly. Try swapping
drive positions on connecter. If nothing works try a different cable.

Sam

Wow, switching connectors worked. Thanks guys. Thats the last thing I would have tried. My friend told me it didn't matter where they were plugged in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom