Video card problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck122

Baseband Member
This is my computer. Sony System VGC-RB30 Specifications - Intel Pentium 4

A little background on what happend. I had an ATI Radeon X800XL it just recently died. (R.I.P) And I bought this card . And I bought this Power Supply

Put the Power supply in and then the card. The PSU is working, but the card is not. We hooked the monitor up and it wasn't showing. We tried to set up with the CD that came with it. No luck. /sad So we called the ATI and they said pack it up and send it back. I got a replacement coming, but it just kinda hit me that my PC might just suck and might not be good enough for this card. Any input. PLZ? lol I'm freaking out because they are alrdy sending a replacement card and I will feel like a retard if it's just my mobo isnt beast enough to handle it. :(

Make sure the onboard video is disabled in the bios and you disable that item in the device manager. That's where you may be seeing the lack of display problem. There may have been no fault with the first card but simply the onboard canceling it out.

The tech guys at the place we called for support said to right click my computer>manager> device manager>display adapaters> my intel onboard card and disable it which we did. Still nothing. IDK about the BIOS thing. How do you do that? They told us to just send it back and get a new one. /sigh Was hoping to have it fixed before my vaca.

Review the manual for the system or board for changing settings in the bios. Depending on the make and model board or prebuild you change the onboard to PCI-E as default for video adapter in the bios itself.

Simply disabling the item in the DM won't be enough since that is after Windows is loaded. You want the onboard disabled in order to get a display before Windows loads any video drivers for the card.

I have to ask the stupid question because I always forget to plug it in the first time around: Did you connect the additional power supply to the two 6 pin power requirements on the back of the card?

Oops! Not enough power along with having the onboard video enabled will gum up the works a little. The higher end cards tend to need the extra power feed.

I have to ask the stupid question because I always forget to plug it in the first time around: Did you connect the additional power supply to the two 6 pin power requirements on the back of the card?
Yes, he connected those two in the back. What do you mean enabling it in the BIOS? We went into the BIOS, but why would we have to enable it? All we did was take the old one out and put the new one in and it sucked from the beginning. :confused:

Also, at another forum where I post someone was telling me that the power supply I got sucks and that I should return it and get something else? The card is a 550w card and the PSU is 700. It should be fine.

Your PSU appears to be fine. I couldn't find the amperage requirements for your new card, but I'm pretty sure you psu can supply enough.

um, just a thought here, are you SURE it was you card that died last time? as in, not the slot? if so, the new card won't work either :)
Is there a different slot you can install the card into?

550w + 84w for the CPU. It doesn't leave much headroom for anything else. To give my honest opinion. The Powercolor card is a bit overkill for the use with a P4. But now that you have it, carrying the card over to a new motherboard will be a great improvement.

550w + 84w for the CPU. It doesn't leave much headroom for anything else. To give my honest opinion. The Powercolor card is a bit overkill for the use with a P4. But now that you have it, carrying the card over to a new motherboard will be a great improvement.

Yeah, but I got 2 gigs of ram, I got that nice card ( when it works im sure ) and I am moving away from home soon so I can't really dish out anymore money than I have for anymore PC parts. My motherboard is fine. I know it was the old card because when we took it out the on board graphics card worked normally. When the old card was in it was messed up still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom