Need driver help for HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebeccagiunio

Baseband Member
Hi

I took an old HD out of a laptop and put it into an external enclosure.
It's a Hitachi travelstar 80GB 2.5" SATA drive and it fits nicely in its new home.

However the Laptop doesn't recognise it at all and I can't understand which
of the many drivers on the disc to install...

Here is a screenshot (Hopefully..) of what I see on the disc, I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks Bex

Yes I have already reformatted the HD, I connected it to a 3.5" SATA ext. enc. to do this but now it's in this little 2.5" ext.enc. my laptop won't pick it up.

What model enclosure are you using? Some drive/enclosure combos won't run on just USB power alone. You may need to have an additional 5v power source.

I see now. They supplied a dual port cable. You'll need 2 free USB ports to power the enclosure. Plug the cable into both USB ports first. Then plug in the drive. Windows should load a driver right away. You should feel the drive spin up after plugging it in.

Hi KurrentEweser!

I plugged both USBs in (Although I do get the green light with only one USB) and... nothing.
No sound no spinning, when I click on "Computer" no other drive appears.
I know it's not the drive because when I attatch the HD to the larger 3.5 SATA ext enc I have it recognises it right away....

Your drive isn't spinning up. I was afraid of that. Does the enclosure have jack for a 5v ac adapter? You'll need a 5v source connected to it first before plugging in the USB plug. I have a similar enclosure and the drive won't spin up with just USB power alone. I have other brands enclosures and they don't have this problem.

Hi KE

No there is no power source apart from the USB....

Does that mean it's faulty or have I bought the wrong kinda thingy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom