How to stop Mobo reverting settings ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreo

-Deactivated-
This is annoying, using certain applications im acheiving stable clocks at 3.4Ghz on my E6850 with stock cooler and under 45c under load, and there fine, i play Crysis for hours with no problems. But as soon as i need to reboot, it reboots, then reboots again and reverts it back to 3Ghz. And it's really annoying me. Is there any way to stop it doing this ? My mobo is a Gigabyte P35C-DS3R.

I've read about this before with the DS3R boards not holding the overclock settings. Something is faulty with them, maybe try updating bios such as F11 version.

It has done it from the day i got it, no need to replace the battery. i just thought it was my mobo being 'safe' or something.

How do i update the BIOS ?

actually, you should replace the battery because...
a) it only costs 5 bucks
b) when the battery is dead, the mobo does EXACTLY what you are saying. it reverts back to default settings.
c) it wouldn't be the first time a cmos battery came in a mobo DEAD.

im tellin ya, try it first before you get all crazy flashing bios and RMAing your board and stuff.

or, it could be that your overclock is not stable.

It does only do it if i OC. I can OC up to like 3.15ghz from bios without it ressetting. BUT if i do it using software, it's stable playing crysis for any length of time at 3.5ghz, so it is stable, bios just decides to reset it.

Were can i get the battery from ? if its anormal button cell battery i can get one from my mums work.

A bad battery doesn't selectively reset settings to default. So if it's only the overclock settings are affected it's probably a safeguard feature built into the bios. See what happens when you don't overclock so much.

Dont use software overclocking, that is really dangerous. If your not getting past 3.15 on the bios then try uping the voltage.

My P35-DS3R does exactly what your talking about when the overclock is not stable, and windows doesnt load. Also, check that your ram isnt getting to might, or with to tight timings.

A bad battery doesn't selectively reset settings to default. So if it's only the overclock settings are affected it's probably a safeguard feature built into the bios. See what happens when you don't overclock so much.

golly..i wonder how the motherboard retains its settings with no battery power? whats selective about the motherboard booting at defaults after a reboot? :rolleyes:
OP...yes, it will reset to default because of a dead/bad battery, and the time/date will probably be wrong. sorry i didnt mention that before.
yes, its like a watch battery. pull it out and get the number, i cant remember what it is exactly.
anyways, you didnt say anything about using software for overclocking. your overclock is bad (read: UNSTABLE), so your mobo is resetting itself. overclock through the bios, not through software...unless you want to corrupt your OS.
and playing crysis doesnt mean your overclock is stable.

Ok, thanks.

And i think it's my ram being retarded, albeit it sucks (average/generic kingston PC5300), and i have no idea about timings and overclocking ram. Never took the time to understand it.

A few questions:

I downloaded speedfan to set my fan speed to maximum (its at 1300rpm) and i couldn't figure out how to, i plugged it into a system fan slot but it still stayed at 1300rpm, so how do i actually change the fan speed ?

Whats a safe temperature for a E6850 ?

Whats a safe maximum voltage setting for a CPU ? (I don't need it to last me 5 years, ive had it about a year and would of guessed i'd upgrade it within the next 6 months to a year)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom