New RAM question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydzy

In Runtime
I got 2gb already of A-Data pc6400 ram, timings are something terrible, like 5-5-5-18 or w/e, anyway, want another 2gb, looking at the:

"OCZ DDR2 2048MB(2x1G)PC2-9600 1200Mhz Flex XLC(2FX12002GK)"

Wondering if it matters if I have two different types of ram, due to two of them being at least 50% faster than the other two, lol.

Also, will my computer automatically use the faster ram by default before filling up the other stuff? Is there a way to basically tell my computer to use those 2gb before even touching the other stuff, or would that be a bad idea.

Cheers,
Sydz

so basically no point in buying fast ram cause it'd just be running @ the same speed as my slow stuff?

maybe i should just scrap the slow stuff and buy 4gb of the fast stuff... mmmm

only if your motherboard can utilize the speed. If your motherboard can't support the new speed, than it will factor it down to what it can support and run at that speed.

To be brutally honest, you wont see much difference between ddr2 800 at 5-5-5-18 and ddr2 1200 at 5-5-5-18, which most likely actually has timing of 6-6-6-24.

I would stick with what you have and put the money towards a video card or cpu upgrade depending on what you currently have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom