HP keeps overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrewsmc

Solid State Member
My mother in laws HP laptop keeps overheating... Any idea on what i can do to fix this.. Sorry i have no Experience with laptops...

How old is it? The thing could be getting dusty, a laptop cooler is always an option.

Turn it off and blow all of the vents with a can of air. Next make sure no one is using the laptop on things like pillows, couches, etc. Things that would cover the air vents causing an overheat. If it is still overheating double check to ensure that all of the fans work (they all should kick on at some point before overheating). If they aren't a fan may need replacing.

You may also want to invest in an air duster.They are usually around 8 bucks and it could help you clean out the fans and anywhere dust could be.In your case,if its not fan failure it could just be in need of a good clean.

If you don't have canned air, first just blow into the fan vents. I did this and a lot of dust came out (only had my laptop for a few months!). I also use a laptop cooling pad (aluminum slab with USB powered fans in it), but since the fans it has aren't very powerful, I took some old case fans and taped them together behind the laptop cooling pad to provide good airflow.

Getting a closer look inside, should be a matter of a few screws.

By the way, what's the overheating resulting in, you didn't say.

Getting hot is not itself a problem. 8)

Heat in computers can cause numerous problems, although in laptops it's common place due to components being tightly packed together in a small closure with limited fans and other air flow items such as vents etc. When you get dust in your laptop things can get bad. Dust blocks up the vents and fans a laptop has causing even more heat. The problems caused by excess heat range from the system freezing up, restarting by itself due to the CPU or other essential hardware simply becoming to hot under stress and not having enough room to breathe in as it were. Hope that helps.

I had a client with same problem. There was not much dust built up. Opened it up and
cleaned and applied silver compound liberally. Now works like a charm. If the blow off dust doesn't work you may have to open it up.

Sam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom