Motherboard Won't Recognize USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

foni2k8

Beta member
Guys, pls im having the same problem but it has to do with my flash drive. My system wont recorgnise all the flash drives ive used. I have changed from Win 2000 to XP then to Win 98 and back to Win 2000 but it still wont recorgnise it. I have checked the BIOS setup and its seems ok. Pls can anyone help me on this cos the bulk of my work is in my flash:sad:. Thanks

Are you using the USB ports built into the motherboard? The USB ports that are built into PC cases are there just for show until they connected to the motherboard or a USB adapter.

Like the above poster said, check to ensure you are using USB drives that are truely CONNECTED to your motherboard.

After that, my next assumption would be this is a driver issue. Good luck finding a driver for 98 or even 98 SE that supports USB mass storage devices like flash drives and external hard drives. Windows 2000 is also difficult. My suggestion would be to look at the manf. website of your USB thumb drive to see if it in fact is supported by 2000. It may not be, in which case you will need to either upgrade your OS, or use something else like a CD to transfer your files.

KurrentEweser- My USB is not onboard, its actually one of those ones with a cable attached on it. nitestick- Yes, I have a USB mouse and i have tried it but to no avail. I even bought a brand new PCI USB card (Chinese make) but that wont make the system boot. Lexluethar- Pls what is OS? Im contemplating on buying another CPU.:confused:

Hello,

OS stands for Operating System. Windows, Linux, OS X those are OS's.

The issue you are haivng is that your OS is not recognizing the fact that you have a mouse hooked up thru a hub. That thing with the box and cable. If you do not have the USB ports right on the PC to hook up that hub with then you will not be able to get it to work.

Cheers,
Mak

A lot of times if you're using 98 you'll have to connect your usb devices while the machine is powered off, and then boot it up. I have no idea why it works this way, but it was the only way I could get a few of my flash-drives recognized on it. Even then, it wouldn't read the larger (2gb) model that I had.. I could only actually get it to recognize smaller ones (I had a 128mb one lying around).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom