Acer 5310 Empowering Technology Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitzi

Baseband Member
Hi Guys,

Apologies if this has been discussed before.

i have an Acer 5310 laptop and when I start it up a green tool bar ( Acer Empowering Technology toolbar) also starts on my desktop, I has things like eNet Management, Volume, battery, resolution etc.

I wouldn't usually mind something like this but it really delays the amount of time my laptop takes to fully boot up. I've tried stopping this through start -> Run -> msconfig but perhaps i'm not clicking the right thing because it keeps coming back.

Has anyone any advice, maybe perhaps how they got rid of it. It's much appriciated.

Most programs that keep coming back are programs that are still running and will undo what you do in msconfig. It's best to use the programs startup option if it has one.

Hmmm, No startup option that I can see. Every time I think I've done it, I restart and it appears again. Seem to have tried everything.

Anyone have any ideas?

I swear I used to know how to do this. So many customers hated its slow performance it just became a standard for us to disable it.... I don't think it was in msconfig either I believe there was a file or something that had to be deleted. lemme dig round a bit...

edit: Yes all I can find is that unless there's an option to disable each of the individual parts of the tool bar (try right clicking or something) you've got to go to the folder where the files for this app are kept and just delete everything. It's probably in Program Files but it's easy enough to do a search. Just one of the many weird things Acer does.....

I swear I used to know how to do this. So many customers hated its slow performance it just became a standard for us to disable it.... I don't think it was in msconfig either I believe there was a file or something that had to be deleted. lemme dig round a bit...

edit: Yes all I can find is that unless there's an option to disable each of the individual parts of the tool bar (try right clicking or something) you've got to go to the folder where the files for this app are kept and just delete everything. It's probably in Program Files but it's easy enough to do a search. Just one of the many weird things Acer does.....

Hmmm yeah, poking around I think I saw the option to disable only some of the individual parts so I might just try getting rid of it altogether.

Just a quick question though, If I delete everything from the folder, I won't still look for it on startup each time will it?

My guess is it's a registry key that triggers the automatic start up. That's why disabling it via msconfig isn't a permanent fix. If you could figure out the registry key(s) for it you'd be best but I don't know them and I'm not so good at poking around registries, especially Vista's. You shouldn't see an error message or anything, though. Safest bet is to back everything up in a .zip or .rar archive so you can restore it easily if things go haywire. I'd recommend you do that.

My guess is it's a registry key that triggers the automatic start up. That's why disabling it via msconfig isn't a permanent fix. If you could figure out the registry key(s) for it you'd be best but I don't know them and I'm not so good at poking around registries, especially Vista's. You shouldn't see an error message or anything, though. Safest bet is to back everything up in a .zip or .rar archive so you can restore it easily if things go haywire. I'd recommend you do that.

Cool, I'll have a poke around and give it a go. If I come across any easy solution to it I'll post it. Thanks for the help!

IT is more powerful than msconfig. This will fully disable the entries. along with their services. Not just the application itself when Windows starts.

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom