Worklog: Spidey Senses

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
So...finished one, time for another. This one is for a distant cousin, he's covering expenses but has minimal dollars so this will be a budget mod.

He wants it spiderman themed but not overly so...not 100% sure what that means but I'm guessing it roughly translates to: "Make it cool, not geeky".

Colour scheme is black and silver, more venom than spidey but he didn't want blue and red, good step I think in avoiding that "geeky" thing.

Anyways, this is going to be a long winded thread, i'm guessing a couple of months on this mod as I'll be doing all the cuts by hand rather than the local laser or waterjet shop.

Keeping the low budget in mind I'm using a case I picked up last year for $0.99 at a local comp store (hence the pumpkin in the photo, taken last October before i put her away in storage), they had it stacked with all the AT cases for clearance, score! Actually ended up buying two for that price....nice solid steel cases, must weight close to 40lbs empty.

This time I have the before shots:

Picture077.jpg

Picture076.jpg

back.jpg

Nice lawn eh? Can you tell I spend too much time in the shop :p

I'm taking ideas on design, a few things I know will be going in: double fan intake at the front, new switches, exhaust out the top, probably cut outs on both side and lots of wire management. Depending on time and money i'd like to stealth the drives but that's up to him.

Oh, and definitely dumping the feet.

Anyways, ideas appreciated.

if you can etch venom into plexi, light up the plexi with green LEDs, light up the background with blue or red LEDs, looks like a nice place for a resiviour right above the psu, go with slime green lit liquid cooling... just some thoughts from someone with no original ideas lol

if you can etch venom into plexi, light up the plexi with green LEDs, light up the background with blue or red LEDs, looks like a nice place for a resiviour right above the psu, go with slime green lit liquid cooling... just some thoughts from someone with no original ideas lol

I've never done liquid cooling before and I was hoping this would be my chance, there is tons of room inside the case, I'll get some shots today for you of the interior. The problem is $$$, he's not going to go for the increase in price as he definitely won't see the payoff of liquid cooling, he's not really a benchmark guy or high end gamer. But it would look cool, I have a cosmos 1000 in the sidelines I'm planning on using for liquid cooling but maybe I'll used my other case like this one, we'll see...that's too far down the road to worry about now.

He doesn't like crazy colours so the only LED affects he wants are white and he's not so keen on etching...I might be able to convince him but right now he likes dual cutouts on the two sides. I do think we'll use the venom spider as Trotter mentioned for one side. On the other side I'd like a cutout or window so we can see the interior and the wire management...maybe a spider web cutout or something.

I found this one for the cutout:

sm_blk1_thumb.jpg

ooo, that'd look sweet as a cutout for viewing the wiremanagement! ok, so only white... limiting color lol.... well, you COULD do a cutout of Venom as trotter said, and put shielded white LEDs in his eyes... that'd look pretty wicked! and possibly light up the wiremanagement with some LED'S *three top and three bottom* but I don't know about that now that I think of it.... lemme know what you think

ooo, that'd look sweet as a cutout for viewing the wiremanagement! ok, so only white... limiting color lol.... well, you COULD do a cutout of Venom as trotter said, and put shielded white LEDs in his eyes... that'd look pretty wicked! and possibly light up the wiremanagement with some LED'S *three top and three bottom* but I don't know about that now that I think of it.... lemme know what you think

I'm thinking I'll stay away from cutouts of an actual figure....he wanted a spiderman/venom case but not blatantly a superhero one. Right now I'm leaning more towards the spider cutout on the back side and then a spiderweb type cutout on the window side...the large holes in the web would make good windows for seeing the guts.

Here are a couple of the internal shots....so much room! and even a decent amount of space behind the mobo for stringing the wires.

IMG_3518.jpg

IMG_3521.jpg

IMG_3523.jpg

I LOVE the ominous saws and various tools in the background lol... that would be awesome still, I'm not a heavy LED fan myself, but if it's gonna be spiderweb design def need white LEDs... and that case is a DREAM to work in! you're gonna have a really interesting time of filling that space!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom