q6600 v e8500

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually ask the seller if they can give me the batch code/fpo number and specify where to look in case they are tards :p

Compare what they tell you to the Q6600 batch list and you will find yourself shopping very smart :D

darn i am just about to get my first rig and the Q6600 was my processor, i wanted a quad but my budget is maxed and so i cant get a Q6700, are they not working or something? I'm not a big OCer if it's some overclocking issue, i wanted to try and get 3ghz but if i cant no worries. It's just Supreme Commander supports Quads and so i was gonna get one...
In that case get a quad. And even the "bad" q6600's now should get you to 3ghz at least. It's just not like the older ones that go to 3.6ghz with hardly any voltage.
dude, dude, dude!

I have bought 1 cpu in my life brand new...and regret it terribly because it was the worst clocking of them all.

Buying used is the way to go, modern CPUs are nearly indestructible! I ALWAYS buy used CPUs.

Things I usually would rather buy new are stuff like motherboards and graphics cards as they are far more likely to go kaput during their lives with me.
I seem to get unlucky buying stuff new and lucky buying stuff used.... My mobo is pretty good and I got it for a good price back then. Even now it would be a decent price.

Thanks for all the help guys! :)
Im leaning towards a E8400 and just OC the guts out of it lol

Hey Drizzt5 your system is pretty similar to what im going to have, hows that going? Good for gaming? high rezs and good graphics with good FPS on the 4850?

Microcenter has the E8400 on sale for 149, but its instore pickup only. I might try my hands at one this weekend. And naga, you wouldnt trust buying a q6600 from someone like me who has guaranteed 3.6ghz clocks :p

Thanks for all the help guys! :)
Im leaning towards a E8400 and just OC the guts out of it lol

Hey Drizzt5 your system is pretty similar to what im going to have, hows that going? Good for gaming? high rezs and good graphics with good FPS on the 4850?

Great. I was a little hesitant at first about buying it instead of the 4870. But every game I've played so far has been maxed out with insanely good frame rates.

If you do get the 4850 though, you may want to get an aftermarket cooler. I suggest the accelero s1 rev 2 + just buy the turbo modules for fun. Or if you want to save a few bucks strap on a trusty old 120mm fan like I did.

The reason I suggest an aftermarket cooler is because the 4850 tends to get a bit hot. And although you can raise the 4850 fan speed to whatever speed you want.... I raised it to 48% at first and it was doing pretty well BEFORE OC..... like 60C load I guess, I don't remember. The card can take the heat, but an aftermarket cooler is a good investment.

Also, eventually you may want to do a pencil mod :) But you don't need to be told about that now. Just build your system first and then we will convince you that it sucks and needs dangerous modifications that void the warranty:D

the new steppings will supposedly. and i dont think there are going to be any more "good" batches of 6600s...i could be wrong. i would stay away from the current ones like the plauge.
if you have to get a quad, get a q9550.

Really!!?? I just ordered my rig and its on its way with a q6600... i'll feel like an idiot now if it wasn't worth the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom