What to do with a QUAD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zedman3d

Fully Optimized
Say i was to go out and buy a system with a 2.4ghz Q6600 Quad core, 4gigs ram, a $70-80 Asus Motherboard and i have an internet connection of about 8mbps, how could i make a PROFIT on it. I mean, game server wise, loaning out to people to use for rendering, etc etc.

What would be a good business to create around it.
BTW: I want to stear clear of webhosting, and storage purposes.

The PC will cost about $400 AUD, so ill be wanted to recoup loses from the PC's purchase. Thanks to anyone who helps.

You could run a 14 slot css server and make ~$50 a month and break even in 8 months you could maybe get away with running 2 if you overclock to 3ghz and set each server 2 cores each.

dude server would rely more on your dl/ul speeds...not the processor :| so you might get away with 10-15 people on your connections...but remember, you would have to keep it running 24/7...so that would take away personal use

Yeah, for a server you would really need a good upload speed of at least 5mb upload, or even a 20mb upload if FiOS is available near you. I have the FiOS 20mb download/5mb upload and I rock when hosting XBL games, so I'm sure it could handle a CS:S server.

You could fold and make monopoly money :)

Some kind of gaming serve seems like the thing to do :/... although like it's been said already, your dl/upload speed is whats going to limit you.

Yeah having a 8mb line will get you no where. You upload speeds still stink and gamers would be lucky to get a 200 latency with that connection. Espically if you have multiple game servers hosted on that PC. Then it would climb even higher. You could reach as much as 500 or more in latency.

There is no way to make a profit with it online. Not by trying to use domestic hosting. You would need to get a business hosting plan and even then you still wouldnt break even for at least the first year.

Cheers,
Mak

Best way is to use it to make a resume, and then email that resume out. And get a real job so you can afford to spend money on a hobby. :)

Best way is to use it to make a resume, and then email that resume out. And get a real job so you can afford to spend money on a hobby. :)

If it wasn't for that fact that you are VeeDubFreak and you used a smiley i probably would have responded poorly to that comment. But anyway...

What about renting time out for rendering? I may buy a Dual Slot motherboard with one CPU and once things pick up, add another cpu.

Anyone heard of renting out a server for 3dsmax, maya, etc rendering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom