$AU700 Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could always get a Phenom 9600 Black edition. Its clocked at 2.3ghz quad core and it can be over clocked to hit around 3ghz with proper cooling.

The only reason I would suggest this CPU is because it comes with a stock heat sink even though its a Black Edition and it cost 150$ with free shipping and handling.

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom 9600 Agena 2.3GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

The only decent Phenom I could find at the price in my opinion, the rest are too over priced, and don't perform much much better. Yet once again thats just my opinion.

You could always get a Phenom 9600 Black edition. Its clocked at 2.3ghz quad core and it can be over clocked to hit around 3ghz with proper cooling.

The only reason I would suggest this CPU is because it comes with a stock heat sink even though its a Black Edition and it cost 150$ with free shipping and handling.

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom 9600 Agena 2.3GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

The only decent Phenom I could find at the price in my opinion, the rest are too over priced, and don't perform much much better. Yet once again thats just my opinion.
B2 stepping chips (9x00) don't overclock as well as B3 stepping chips (9x50).
But if he's not overclocking, it'll do him fine.

Though, again, newegg != Australia

OK, I've ordered the Q6600. The fact that all you (helpful) people are able to debate/argue over them, proves to me that they are all (for me) very similar and are all viable options.

So my final order was a...

Intel Q6600
Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3L
2GB Corsair 1066MHz RAM
Corsair VX-450 Power Supply

Thank you for all your help.

On another note, someone told me today that OEM Windows is licensed to the motherboard. I have OEM Windows XP on my soon-to-be-upgraded computer and I intend on keeping the hard drive. Since I am changing the motherboard, does this mean that Windows will not recognise my computer as being licensed?

Also, I have a really old/bad computer (5 year old Celeron, 512MB RAM, GeForce4) that I plan on adding my AMD 3500+, old Motherboard and old RAM to. However its hard drive is a IDE hard drive, and the motherboard only supports SATA. Is there some sort of adapter I can buy that I can simply plug my hard drive in one side and my motherboard in the other and they'll all play nice?

Yes im pretty sure u can get an sata to ide adaptor.

Ok, now transfering one copy of XP to new equipment will not be a problem, as long as you dont try to use it on two computers at the same time.

You will have to format the hard drive because you are using a new motherboard (i hope you know that) and when you install windows XP again it will recognise that there is a whole lot of new hardware and will probably have to verify it over the net. Easy.

You will also have to format the other computers hard drive, again, because you installing a new motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom