Status
Not open for further replies.

Extremist

Beta member
First of all, these are my current/to-be-upgraded specification:
Pentium D processor (925, 3 Ghz)
7600gt
2 identical 200GB Hdd's
A miscellaneous ECS mobo (25 pounds in all - ie the cheapest pentium d compatable mobo i could get)
1GB of 533 RAM (single)
500 watt lovely gold coloured (no really!) PSU
Plenty of fans (3 in all)

New, upgraded specification:
Pentium D (same as above)
8800gts
Same Hdd's (as above)
(Luscious) Asus mobo
2GB of 800 RAM (twin)
750W PSU
A new fan (that's 3+1)

So, in all, this is a 200 pound (silly z-board doesn't have a pound sign on it and i'm far too lazy to use the windows character map:p) upgrade and more importantly there is a much higher power input/output for this system. So what i'm afraid of happening is that by putting everything in at once, the huge change in power levels will just kill everything (and most importantly the information on my Hdd's), resulting in a reinstall :(. I've done plenty of installs before and but never one which basically meant a new computer.

Do i need to slowly upgrade this computer or can i just whap everything in at once. Ie - connect the computer hardware in stages; the PSU, the Mobo, the processor, RAM, the GPU, dvd writer, fans and the Hdd's. If i do need to do it in stages, is this the right order? I do not want to have to reinstall the gazillions of programs since i have lately done a fresh install.

Your components will only take the power they need... they won't try to take all of it to commit suicide. :D

You could possibly run into some problems with your Windows install since you're putting in a new mobo. It might require a new activation at the least with the new mobo and other parts. You might also just get BSODs left and right and need a reinstall. XP isn't as bad with that as the older OS were but it can still happen. That's all, though. A reinstall won't ruin your data or anything, just don't reformat your drives!

Just do it all at the same time, no point in dragging it out. Install everything at once and fire it up.

That'd be a repair install, jorsoft. I'd consider a 'reinstall' a total reformat.

But yes, if you're replacing the motherboard, then I would advise you to do a repair install (boot off of your XP CD, choose to install XP, let it find an existing installation, and then pick 'R' to repair the install). If you have to reactivate windows over the phone, just say you reformatted your HDD to make it easier on yourself ;).

Thanks peeps, i really appreciate the help and the links. I like the idea of repairing windows. 10/10

Ok, i've got another question:). I'm having conflicting thoughts on the wattage that i am going to need for the upgrade. Do i really need the 750W PSU or could i just get a 600W?

Wattage doesn't matter kuch, it's really all about rails and amps. Post specs of your perspective power supplies and we'll see how they stack up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom