Is it required to have quad core for new games now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A high clocked E8400 will be plenty quick for some time to come....it's a very fast CPU and the most important part of a gaming setup is the GPU anyway.

I would take a 4ghz E8400 over a 3.6ghz Q6600 any day....and this is coming from someone who has had about 12 different quads including a QX9650

Yes, fast dual cores are no slouches....mine is only at 3ghz but i dont have a hard time running anything, and i used a similar system to mine with a quad and saw little difference, other than a higher 3dmark score.

Yes, fast dual cores are no slouches....mine is only at 3ghz but i dont have a hard time running anything, and i used a similar system to mine with a quad and saw little difference, other than a higher 3dmark score.

Same as me bro but applications eat up my ram like nothing. For some reason Firefox feels it has to use between 600mg~1gig of my ram. Looks like I m going to have to get another 2 gigs of ram soon.

guru said:
A high clocked E8400 will be plenty quick for some time to come....it's a very fast CPU and the most important part of a gaming setup is the GPU anyway.

I would take a 4ghz E8400 over a 3.6ghz Q6600 any day....and this is coming from someone who has had about 12 different quads including a QX9650

rican said:

to each his own...i find no reason to get a dual anymore, it's like buying old technology. Don't get me wrong, they are still fast for dual core optimized applications and games, but they really see perforation hits in multi threaded and quad core optimized game, and there is only more quad core optimized games to come. So whats the point of getting a dual, the only thing it will be fast in a year will be old games and applications, all the newer ones will be quad core optimized. So if you want to have good performance (by what you do u don't really need it thought) a quad core cpu is really the only way to go.

to each his own...i find no reason to get a dual anymore, it's like buying old technology. Don't get me wrong, they are still fast for dual core optimized applications and games, but they really see perforation hits in multi threaded and quad core optimized game, and there is only more quad core optimized games to come. So whats the point of getting a dual, the only thing it will be fast in a year will be old games and applications, all the newer ones will be quad core optimized. So if you want to have good performance (by what you do u don't really need it thought) a quad core cpu is really the only way to go.

Show me where these dual cores are taking hits in multithreaded games....

Show me where these dual cores are taking hits in multithreaded games....

At the moment there are not many game titles that do. Crysis, ut3, and a few more that escape me. As for software, encoding, photoshop, video & audio editing, and encrypting. Proof enough :p

Crysis, UT3, Supreme Commander are the only games I can think of that use over 2 cores and yet when you look at benchmarks the highest are not quads....they are wolfdale processors.

Fact of the matter is for games my 4.4ghz E3110 will last me for QUITE a while and outperform quads in gaming....and with the E0 stepping release clocks much higher than 4.4ghz will become the norm.

I would only switch for a Q9650 as they are E0...but they are too expensive at the moment.

Crysis, UT3, Supreme Commander are the only games I can think of that use over 2 cores and yet when you look at benchmarks the highest are not quads....they are wolfdale processors.

Fact of the matter is for games my 4.4ghz E3110 will last me for QUITE a while and outperform quads in gaming....and with the E0 stepping release clocks much higher than 4.4ghz will become the norm.

I would only switch for a Q9650 as they are E0...but they are too expensive at the moment.

actually by what i have seen, the only game of those that duals seem to be better is ut3.also you say that ur dual will be the best in gaming and out perform quads, yeah for only a short while right now. You must realize that more games are coming out that are going to be much better optimized for quad core cpu's, and the number is going to drastically rise. So your dual will loose performance in games soon. But that's just my opinion fortified by new releases to come. Yes at todays current applications and games, duals win. But in a less then a years time, duals will not be as you say, and quads will win a decisive victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom