$AU700 Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I've decided not to upgrade the Graphics Card, for now. If I need to get one later I will, but I'm definitely keeping the 8600GT for now.

This means that my budget is now around $500 for just the CPU, Motherboard, RAM and PSU.

There does seem to be a good argument for going with a Phenom but gong on all your advice, I'll stick with an Intel.

However, now I'm tossing up between a E8500 and the Q6600. I can get both for around the same price. From my understanding, the E8500 is better at the moment (with its 45nm and superior speed) but the Q6600's extra 2 cores will be utilised better in the future, thus increasing the lifespan of the chip.

Would you recommend staying with the Q6600?

Definitely not overclocking and my budget won't stretch to the Q6700, its about $80 too expensive.

Definitely not overclocking and my budget won't stretch to the Q6700, its about $80 too expensive.

Then just get Q6600

However, now I'm tossing up between a E8500 and the Q6600. I can get both for around the same price. From my understanding, the E8500 is better at the moment (with its 45nm and superior speed)

E8500 is better in gaming, and in applications that are not optimized for Quad cores.

Both E8500 and Q6600 are great processor though, and either one of them would be good for you.

but the Q6600's extra 2 cores will be utilised better in the future, thus increasing the lifespan of the chip.

Thats true.

Would waiting be an option? And you don't want to possibly consider an AMD quad. If you won't be overclocking then maybe you should just get a phenom ....

Q6600 is faster than Phenom even without overclocking.

Furthermore, he already said that he wants to stick with an Intel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom