External Hard Drive Click+Slows OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akumajin

Baseband Member
So I have had this external Seagate HDD that when I transfer data to or from it it clicks every second and it makes my computer lag when it clicks. It transfers at normal speeds, is relatively new, and I ran some HDD tests to no avail. Funny thing is sometimes when it is transferring a lot of data it causes my wireless USB mouse to not work and I have to replug it in to make it work again. I ran HDD, Memory tests on all my components, no dice. Any ideas?

Tests ran were Memtest 1.8 and 3.2 (I think that's the version) and the newest DFT for the drives.

Oh yes it is the new Seagate Free Agent 500GB one. And I am using a WD MyBook as well - it does not cause any of these problems.

I have the same drive. It gets real hot after heavy use. I just use it for off line storage because of the heat. I don't trust it for continuous use. If the drive is under warranty, I'd get it replaced. In the mean time transfer your data off of it before you loose it. Don't waste any more time with tests.

For what it's worth I say send it in, too. It shouldn't be clicking at all, that's an indication to me of some sort of hardware problem with it. Just have Seagate replace it, they're generally real good about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom