Price/Performance Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ventriac

In Runtime
Hey, decided not to wait for nahalem due to the fact i can't play any games on my computer right now since i upgraded my screen.

This is what I HAVE:

Case: Thermaletake Armor+ Full Tower
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 700W
HDD: WD cavier 640gb
CD: LG W/ Securedisc
Monitor: 22" Samsung

This is what I NEED:
GPU
CPU
MB
Ram

The video card I want is the 4870, and i'll go xfire when i upgrade in feb.

With this build i'll prob run 2gbs of ram.

My questions has to do with the CPU/MB, what do you guys think is the best bang for the money, keep in mind upgrading in feb. and i don't want to throw tons of money into this, but don't want to hinder the performance too much due to what I want to spend.

Also I plan on building a computer from my leftover parts when i upgrade which means i'll need to buy 2 operating systems, what do you think the best OS for this will be? i don't need 64bit do I? and Xp or Vista?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help again =P

Q6700/ Q9550
HD 4870
P5Q Deluxe or Biostar I45
Any 4gb DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 RAM (I assume you have a 64bit OS)

Guess I should mention the person i'll be giving the computer too (after I upgrade to my new one) only uses the computer for Internet/E-mail/Pictures n stuff so on her end it will not need to be anything extravagent, but also on my end I want to be able to play games on decent settings, granted i will be keeping the graphics card and giving her like an 8600 or something a little less involved due to the fact she does not need it.

Will the e7200 work fine for what I will be doing in the next few months (games I play are, but are not limited to Counter Strike: Source, Everquest 2, Warhammer Online, Age of Conan. Those are the 4 main games I might be playing.

This is what I came up with that is pretty inexpensive comes out to be ~370 after MIR
GPU Newegg.com Shopping Cart
RAM Newegg.com - OCZ SLI-Ready 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
CPU Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
OS Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 32-bit English 1pk for System Builders DSP OEI DVD - Operating Systems

My Current system is in my sig, will i see a HUGE difference in this build?

Anyone recommend anything different, cheaper or a little more expensive based on performance?

Before my current build I had a 3.5ghz single Core Celeron. The only difference I noticed was in gaming and applications. But if all you've been doing is surfing the net and etc. Then you probably won't notice much of a difference just surfing online.

I assume that was 4870 video card, showed empty cart, fyi. 8)

E7200 is probably getting by for AoC, Warhammer, and EQ2.

I have played all 3 with my rig:

E8400 on Gigabyte P35-DS3L, 4 gigs of G-Skill 1066 DDR2, 8800GTS-512 video card.
All play fabulously on my rig, no EIDE, HD and DVD-RW are SATA 3.0
I use XP 32-bit still, it uses same amount of max RAM as 32-bit Vista; 3.5gigs.

Check out Newegg's combo deals. Some CPUs can be comboed with Vista Home Premium 32-bit OEM for 10 dollars less. Maybe your motherboard can be comboed with the motherboard you'd like for even even less money.

I noticed that the day after i ordered my parts separatley...cancelled the order and re-ordered with combos and stuff.

actually everything there is a combo except for the video card and case >< and i can't get a better case for that price, and i hopefully am getting a nice videocard from trotter if his person backs out :D

i'm saving 30$ with all the combo stuff. Not much, but everything adds up

I'm between these 2 boards, any suggestions?

Newegg.com - ASUS M3A78 Pro AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Newegg.com - ECS A780GM-A AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Did my advice help you? Or did you already know about the combo deals? If it did help you, omg my first time actually really helping someone on any forum online. I usually just troll around, reading, thinking of good advice but being too lazy to sign up to a site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom