Need Advice On Upgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.

getemboi

Solid State Member
Hello, I'm new to the forum, and joined because I need advice. My parents just bought me a new computer, but I'm having problems playing games. I'm new to PC games, so forgive me if I sound stupid. I read the one guide that listed the information I should list when asking for advice, so I will provide that. The computer was on sale, thats why they bought it, but they don't want to take it back as they bought an extended warranty on it and to them they think it works fine, when I told them it won't even play game they said just play games on your Xbox. I downloaded the demo for Hitman2: Silent Assassin, it starts, but the graphics as crap, horrible quality and the game play is unplayable it lags so badly, but based on the system requirements for the game and what's in my computer I can't understand why my computer won't play it. I'd like to play games like COD4, STALKER, Crysis (if it's possible), so I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on upgrading, and maybe helping me fix the problems what I have with the current system. Is my computer capable of playing ANY games ? If so what should my system be able to handle, and what would I need to upgrade to play the games like COD4, STALKER ?

Here is the info on my computer:

CPU-Z

Processor
Name : AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.6 GHz
Code Name: Brisbane
Core Speed: 999.6 MHz
FSB: unsure, can't see anything labeled FSB
Bus Speed: 199.9 MHz

Motherboard
Maunufacturer: Acer
Model: RS740DVF

Graphics Interface
Version: none listed
Transfer Rate: none listed

Memory
Type: DDR2
Size: 3072 MBytes
Frequency: none listed under NB Frquency, DRAM Frequency is 199.9MHz

DirectX Diagnostic Tool

System Tab
DirectX Version: DirectX 10

Display Tab
Device
Name: ATI Radeon 2100
Chip Type: ATI Radeon 2100 (0x796E)
Approx. Total Memory: 1407MB

You are running on onboard graphics. While the 2100 ain't crap, it can't handle games like those.

To play these kinds of games, you will need a decent graphics card. Graphics cards take a lot of juice, so you might need a PSU.

List the make and model of the computer and we'll see what we can find out for you. Or, open up the side panel and look to see if it has a PCI-E slot (top slot or next to top, longer than all the others), and look on the side of your PSU and see what it's wattage is.

I see you have an HD 2100 built in so you have a 740g board?

Its not exactly the best IGP Out, more like 3rd best.. but even the HD 3300 can't take most recent games, my HD 3200 even at 625Core struggles at most games... best option is to try out Hybrid CrossfireX with a cheap HD 3450 or something or just buy a new Card thats good

I'm not sure if it's 740g, how can I find out what type of board I have ? The computer is an Acer Aspire M1200, if that helps.

What games should I be able to play with my current system ? I'd like to try one just to see if everything is working up to par.

Also, are there any other drivers or software that I might need, that didn't come with the computer ?

IGP = Integrated Graphics Processor/ Integrated Video Card

The Acer Aspire M1200 is based on the 740g, I pretty much knew that because of the HD 2100

Really, you should be able to play COD4 and STALKER at all Low though with low Res, and still get decent frames... because I could do it on a ATi Radeon 9600XT before I upgraded 2 months ago

That's strange, because I can't play anything, maybe something isn't setup properly. I even notice that DVD quality and online videos aren't playing clearly, I've tried to fix the problem, but I can't figure out a solution.

Any more advice ? I'm thinking it could be a driver issue, but I'm not sure. I was reading on https://support.ati.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=20429 that to run ATI drivers you need Microsoft .NET Framework, it said to check in Add/Remove programs to see if I have it and it's not listed, do I need Microsoft .NET Framework ?

Also will the new ATI Catalyst software suite and 8.8 drivers work with my Radeon 2100 IGP ? (it's not HD2100 I messed up earlier)

I don't know if it matters but I'm running Vista Home Premium 32-bit.

Well I got things working with a few games, I suppose it's working as good as it's supposed too. I messed up when I said it was an HD 2100, I think it's just a Radeon 2100, at least that's what it says in the Welcome Center. If it's not an HD is my motherboard still based on the 740g ? If so is my PCI-E slot 2.0 ?

I'd like to upgrade to a card that can really handle current games, I know that I will need a new PSU to go along with a graphics card, I don't want to mess around with a new Motherboard as I'm not kowlegable enough, but I think I can handle installing a PSU and graphics card. Maybe someone can help me out deciding. I live in Canada and will be ordering from

TigerDirect.ca - Computers, Computer Parts, Computer Accessories, PC Components, & Electronics

If someone can give it a good look and pick out the best PSU and graphics card that are compatible with the system I have I would greatly appreciate it. I'd like to keep it under $150 if possible.

Edit: The case I have is 17"L x 14"T x 7"W , will I be able to put a graphics card in there with a couple fans and a new PSU and be able to keep it cool ?

Is there some reason that no one is responding ? I thought this was the place to ask for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom