Question on installing a new sound card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Feet

In Runtime
I'm going to be installing a sound card soon and currently I'm just using the onboard mobo sound.

My question is, before I install the card do I need to uninstall the onboard sound drivers before installing the new sound card and its drivers? Thanks.

No, you can leave the on-board sound card drivers on. Just remember to select the right card in your audio settings.

-Chase-

No, you can leave the on-board sound card drivers on. Just remember to select the right card in your audio settings.

-Chase-

On some system's this can create a device drive conflict or a IRQ conflict which can result in a BSOD. Each system is different. I had to turn off my onbaord to use my dedicated sound card.

Cheers,
Mak

On some system's this can create a device drive conflict or a IRQ conflict which can result in a BSOD. Each system is different. I had to turn off my onbaord to use my dedicated sound card.

Cheers,
Mak

I've seen this happen as well, but it's very rare. You should be able to turn off your onboard sound card in your BIOS if this does happen.

-Chase-

Yes it is that easy. I figured i would mention it in case that is the case. I wouldnt say it is very rare. Cause i have seen it more times then not. But that is just me.

Cheers,
Mak

I dont even have my onboard sound drivers installed, but i do have dual sound devices
in my system, and they work fine together.

Definitely disable the on board sound via the BIOS before the new card goes in, performance hit and possible issues if you don't, and you really don't want that hassle?
Once you disable it, the drivers for it can still be installed, they won't be used unless you have some run at start up program going, and that should be easy to remove via Control Panel|Add/Remove programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom