Is the time right to upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well to be fair so do you...if he were to OC the cpu to 2.8-3.0ghz and get a better gpu that would be plenty sufficient as the GPU is really the most important thing in a gaming setup.

The problem with picking up an intel processor is that my mobo only supports an amd processor. It's really not worth it to me to replace my whole mobo.

I am also quite weary around the whole subject of overclocking, to me it seems a bit dangerous and above my paygrade to overclock to extremes. Pushing my 4200+ an extra .6 ghz seems like a fairly big push in the clock speed. I also wanna stay away from any physical modding whatsoever. My computer runs pretty cool and I suppose it wouldn't hurt to just order some RAM and a new card and just try to overclock my processor. If it quits on me or doesn't go up as high as I please I can always pickup a new processor. But back to the physical modding... is it possible to overclock my CPU to 2.8 ghz without volt modding?
Basically my plan is to upgrade my computer now and have it last for another 2 years and then do a serious upgrade, or build from scratch a new computer in 2 years.

i had a windsor 4200 and yes it will do 2.8 with no problem and no volt modding. you dont volt mod cpus, unless you have an old one you are willing to fry. you may raise the voltage in the bios, but you physically volt mod motherboards and gpus.

as long as the voltage requirements are the same, they will be fine. you probably want to get the same timings as well (ie 5-5-5-15).
your geil says 1.8V - 2.2V, and the A-data is 1.8V so they will probably be fine. i have mixed ram before, but to be absolutely certain there will be no problems, then you should buy the same ram or all new.
a data has a 4gb set on newegg for like 80 bucks.
Newegg.com - A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
and it comes with a free 2gb flash drive, yay!

When you overclock you do not have to push the cpu to its limits. I could push my cpu a bit more but I choose not to because the little extra mhz would require more volts. But as long as I keep it where it is now it was a very quick and safe overclock.

The RAM... its DDR2 800 @ 5-5-5-18... that's pretty bad..

Lower is better on those (well except the DDR2 clock speed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom