$AU700 Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
He doesn't really need a 4850 atm. If he finds that he needs more performance then a 4850 would be a good choice.

@Maroon and OP: The Q6600's are not the best atm because of there high vcore's. Get a Q6700 if you wanna go with a Quad.

I'm pretty sure socket AM2+ is going to be a more upgradable platform than socket 775

Is that a hint of favoritism of AMD over Intel?

But the point it is worth getting an AM2+ board since all the AM2+ CPU's don't really perform all that well at the moment.

Is that a hint of favoritism of AMD over Intel?
Well I don't really like Intel. But it's true that AM2+ will be a more future proof socket than 775.
But the point it is worth getting an AM2+ board since all the AM2+ CPU's don't really perform all that well at the moment.
The performance of Phenom CPU's is so understated. They do perform very well.

You could upgrade to Yorkfield if you have socket 775. Yorkfield won't get discontinued even after Nehalem comes out, there will still be updates and price drops for Yorkfield in the near future.

Furthermore, there is no proof that the upcoming AMD CPU like Deneb would be better Yorkfield. Just look at Q6600, it was much older than 65nm Phenom, yet 65nm Phenom wasn't able to beat it.

In addition, if he gets Q6600 then he won't need to upgrade his system for a long time. Most applications are not even using all of the 4 cores.

You could upgrade to Yorkfield if you have socket 775. Yorkfield won't get discontinued even after Nehalem comes out, there will still be updates and price drops for Yorkfield in the near future.

Furthermore, there is no proof that the upcoming AMD CPU like Deneb would be better Yorkfield. Just look at Q6600, it was much older than 65nm Phenom, yet 65nm Phenom wasn't able to beat it.
Yorkfield isn't a big upgrade from a Q6600.
And how do you know what AMD's roadmap is like?
yet 65nm Phenom wasn't able to beat it.
Actually, the 9850 kinda does. the 9750 is about a match.

In addition, if he gets Q6600 then he won't need to upgrade his system for a long time. Most applications are not even using all of the 4 cores.
In addition, if he gets 9750 then he won't need to upgrade his system for a long time. Most applications are not even using all of the 4 cores.

Idk, I think I would go with the AM2+ board in this situation because that socket isn't about to be replaced.... Deneb I think will end up being a great processor, but the Phenom's out now aren't too bad themselves and compared to how the NEW q6600's are performing I think it would be a better choice.

Also I totally agree with the 4850 + psu.

Actually, the 9850 kinda does

No, it doesn't

In addition, if he gets 9750 then he won't need to upgrade his system for a long time. Most applications are not even using all of the 4 cores.

Yea, but Phenom 9750 is slightly slower, slightly more expensive and consume more power.

As far as I know, a phenom with locked multiplier doesn't overclock very well. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yorkfield isn't a big upgrade from a Q6600.

In terms of performance per watt, the Yorkfield was a big improvement over kentsfield.

In terms of performance per clock, it is not. However, I don't think 45nm phenom is going to be much faster than 65nm phenom as well.

Yorlfield only needs price drop and increase in multipliers, which I think will happen in the future.

No, it doesn't
I can see this going places.
Yea, but Phenom 9750 is slightly slower, slightly more expensive and consume more power.
the slightly isn't really much of an incentive when the 9750 is in a more futureproof platform.
As far as I know, a phenom with locked multiplier doesn't overclock very well. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Depends what board you use. And he may not even want to overclock.
In terms of performance per watt, the Yorkfield was a big improvement over kentsfield.
You do realise that everything you have said can be mirrored, right?

Phenom is getting better in the same way that Core 2 Quad's have been. Except AM2+/AM3 isn't going to end soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom