Nehalem = Terrible for Gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ventriac

In Runtime
So.. having no life and everything and reading stuff about nahalem, it's not worth upgrading for gaming..
What do you guys' think is the "best" cpu for gaming and OC ability.
If some think nahalem will, would it be worth waiting for since I am an avid gamer.

Edit: I do enjoy to do other things, but gaming is a #1 priority. I don't do video editing or photoshop or anything, but that wouldn't be out of the question.

Re: Nahalem = Terrible for Gaming?

It's not really bad news, but they aren't geared towards gamers. So i've read, because if this is the case i'll buy all high end parts for gaming now rather than building a cheapy and upgrading again in febuary.

Well why would developers start making games now that really take advantage of a nehalem when it won't even be close to mainstream for another couple of years?

It's not gonna be like the core 2 duo spread; it came out during a real lack of cpu improvements that lasted for awhile in gaming.

Dont take the results they are getting now as accurate. Nehalem desktop cpus are not due out for months, and the neither the motherboards, nor their drivers are up to scratch yet.

They are releasing the server procs soon, however, there is a big gap between them and the desktops because the are using a new socket and new architecture, so obviously motherboard and driver support is nowhere near where it is goint to be. Games are very sensitive to this sort of thing - dont worry, im sure Nehalem will be good for games, just wait a few months till the have some tests on equipment that isnt test grade.

Well why would developers start making games now that really take advantage of a nehalem when it won't even be close to mainstream for another couple of years?

It's not gonna be like the core 2 duo spread; it came out during a real lack of cpu improvements that lasted for awhile in gaming.

What are you guys talking about? It's just a processor, and it's actually 25% faster per clock than the current architecture.

The $300ish 2.66GHz i7 quad will match a 3.33GHz C2D quad. Estimate a 30% overclock, and you're looking at a 4.3GHz C2D equivalent processor; who cares if it isn't taken full advantage of by gaming? It still decimates anything we throw at it :)

It's not at all bad for gaming. It simply throws the ball further and further into the software end of the court; something the GPU industry hasn't even dreamed of.

What I'm hearing is that they are built like the old AMD's. They have a low L2 cache but a high L3.

So they should be more like a good old AMD but with Intel performance. (If you know what i mean).

Is amd responding with a processor of their own like intel's nahalem?

Is amd responding with a processor of their own like intel's nahalem?

they are definitely in the works of something, because if they were not intel could bankrupt them entirely with a monopoly market, so you can be sure that amd will have something shortly after nehalem desktop cpu's launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom