Windows XP Pro doesn't see Hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjm1027

Baseband Member
Anyone know why WIN XP doesn't see my hard drive when trying to install? I went through the BIOS but may be missing something. I know they are connected.
Can anyone give me some reasons to jog my memory

Thanks
Steve

Yes,
Hard disk drives:
1st sata378 TX2 plus D0
2nd sata378 TX2 plus D1
3rd via VT6420 1st HDD

does the 3rd look funny with 1st hdd listed? I want D0 to be the c drive

Thanks

matbe the drives are not partitioned/formatted or the partitions are hidden
try PartitionMagic or open disk manager in Windows

sata arent plug and play devices. if you are putting on a fresh install, then you nee to fit F6 when the setup screen first appears and insert the disk that has the SATA drivers on it. If you dont have a copy of them they can be downloaded from the manufacturers website. there is a good guide on SATA drives at the top of this forum

I am using the f6 with the supplied software. I also changed the raid conectore to ide setting.
2 connectors labels raid sata and 2 labeled sata. If I change bios to ide they should work right?

Ok Now I managed to get that Windows can not install on a partitioned disk. It shows me 2 disks on the screen Disk D and Disk C. I scroll to disk C and it goes into a disk format. Then to finishes and goes into a reboot and boots from CD again askes for F6 Again and repeats the same thing. It's like I am in a loop.
XP does list 2 hard drives but thinks each one is partitioned I am currently fortmatting the 2nd drive...

Steve

ez solution get a IDE HDD install XP then use the seagate utility to copy the HDD image to your sata then you have urself an image and never have to use th installer disk again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom