HD4870 or GTX260?

Status
Not open for further replies.
well in the UK the 4870 is cheaper, so i guess i'll get that then like i was originally going to. How long do you guys honestly think it will be able to play new RTS games coming on high settings? One year( so RTS's coming out next summer would still play well), two? I know it's a very rough estimate but i was just curious. Seeing how long it will be until i am forced to upgrade.:p

PhysX is not only a software library but a hardware platform. It is far easier to utilize Havok, it is only software.

Few people actually fold on GPUs, and the serious ones fold with cluster and have dedicated folding machines. If you are into folding then it is smarter to get a cheap dual core together and let it run 24/7 than to use your video card for it. That's cheaper (where high end cards are concerned) and will free you up for games.

Bottom line get the 4870. The gtx 260 is wasted cash.

4870 will last for a while, and if you want to you can get a mb that supports xfire, and pick up another one when the time comes.

The GTX260 is supposed to get an update(216SP instead of 192SP), so if you really want it, wait for that. I personally feel that the HD4870 is a better buy. It runs extremely cool with fan speed set to 30%, i idle'd at 55C which is amazing for a high end GPU

my gtx280 idles at 51 with only 1 case fan blowing on it

and zmatt.. gtx 260 isnt wasted cash.. i wouldnt go that far, they are both pretty much on par...

but if you ever do plan on doing folding@home.. then gtx260 is a good cause...

since i've gotten my gtx280 my points have skyrocketed... 7000ppd from my card at stock settings... while ur quad cores probably only pull about 1000ppd

its a free program that studies protein folding for stanford university...

protein folding is the cause of alot of diseases and cancer... sooo ya, thats the purpose, aiding in research

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom