So I've decided to upgrade the old 4800x2 and have gone for this system,

Video Card
ATi HD4850 (CF in future)

HDD
750gb seagate

Monitor
22" asus

Motherboard
Asrock p45-2000 wifi (won in competition)

RAM
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 2gb 1333Mhz

Power supply
Coolermaster extreme 650w
Case
Antec 900

CPU

either the E8500 or Q6600

Well thats the system i have so far except the CPU, i like overclocking and tweaking my system.
I mainly game and do some photoshop work so i want a considerably fast system and ive read alot of reviews about the 2 cpu's but still at a crossroad.

Any ideas on what i should go for???

Im pretty sure photoshop is mulithreaded, as are alot of other graphics progams. Personally i would go for the q6600 and overclock it.

Also you may want to get a DDR2 board and get 4gigs of some 800mhz RAM. Photoshop is very ram hungry - it really depends how much work u do vs gaming. If its mainly for gaming then maybe stick with what youve got. DDR3 is still very expensive thats all.

I only do very minimal photoshop work, but im still wondering how long it will take for games to start using the 4 cores and if its not worth going dual core

I only do very minimal photoshop work, but im still wondering how long it will take for games to start using the 4 cores and if its not worth going dual core

They already use them (crysis, grid, cod4). The real question is 'is it faster to have more cores, or more speed?' Any that question is harder to answer. But in my opinion, the whole industry is now geared toward parellelization, not speed, so the q6600 is the better choice.

The q6600 currently are not the best as they often come with a high vcore. Until they make a new batch they are not recommended.

Go with either the E8500 or a Q6700.

id go for a q6700, also if your going to get ddr3, then go all in and get 1600mhz as 1333 is just not worth the price as it is not much faster then ddr2 ram.

actually I hear microcenter are selling E0 e8400s...you should get one of those as they will do 4-4.5ghz with ease...maybe even 5ghz.

Q6600 is no comparison really when the dualie is clocked at those kinds of speeds....also the 45nm chips are about 8-10% faster clock for clock compared to the 65nm chips like the E6xxx and Q6xxx

I agree, avoid Q6600 until the get good batches, check out Q6700's or even the e8400 if you are interested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom