Computer build problem..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawnskeel

In Runtime
Okay, I built my first computer. I put everything together, have an OS ready to install. So I power the computer on, fans start spinning, lights turn on, no beep sounds coming out, nothing appears on the monitor, then it automatically shuts off after about 3-5 seconds of running, then after it's off for 3-5 seconds, it turns on by itself.

I've tried a new stick of ram, nothing. I've tried dual channel ram, single channel ram, I've taken it all apart and put it all back together. No bent pins on cpu socket, everything is seated properly. I've narrowed it down to power supply or a bad motherboard. But now I'm thinking it's now the power supply because everything does power on.

Should I exchange my board with Newegg or should I buy a new power supply from Circuit City and test it to see if it can make the rig work? If I can't return it, I'm not gonna try that because I don't want to be stuck with another 50 dollar power supply.

Edit:

Here are my specs:

Okay. I don't have the OS installed. This is my first ever PC build so I don't have other parts. I bought all these in 1 go:

Board: GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core

GPU: CHAINTECH GSE85GT 512MB GeForce 8500 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card

RAM: PNY OPTIMA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model MD2048KD2-800

HDD: EXCELSTOR Jupiter Series ESJ9250S 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Optical Drive: LG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner w/ SecurDisc Tech Black SATA Model GH20NS15

PSU: Antec earthwatts EA430 430W ATX12V v2.0 Power Supply

Check the back of the mb to make sure everything looks right. I once had a mb that worked for a couple months, and my computer failed and kept restarting, i unhooked it about 10 times before i looked at the back of the mb and the back of the mb was all scratched n ****, don't have any idea what the deal was with that, but i got a new mb and my computer worked. and i've had the same one since!

50$ PSU? that could also be the problem.

The PSU that I currently have is a decent 1 and cost me 60 or 70, can't remember and too lazy to check. I was saying that I may buy a 50 dollar PSU from circuit city to see if it works with that 1 or not, and I have to check the back as you said, but when I installed it, everything looked like it was in great shape.

The 4-pin power cable is in.

I think I will get a 500w 50 dollar 1 from Circuit City just to make sure it's not my power supply's fault. If that won't fix it, I will RMA my motherboard because that has to be the problem.

Forgot to mention that I reseated everything, and the same thing still happens.

Makes me really unhappy because it's my first build :(

Okay, I will list the connections I made on the board:

1 24 pin power connector.
1 4 pin cpu power connector.
2 Sata power connectors (I have 2 Sata devices).
1 Fan power connector.

As I'm sitting here, I'm thinking about the + and - sides of the front panel connectors. If they are incorrectly put in, will that screw everything up?

^i did not say that it had to be cable related.

Also no, if the wires for the front panel and I/O switch were not connected with the corresponding pin, ie ground to ground they would not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom