Is the time right to upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Like I said, I'm a novice when it comes to updating computers. Are you sure I will be able to handle instructions and whatnot to reach and maintain speeds that the 6400+ gets right outta the manufacture? And any advice on memory?

u can even use a 5000+ the get about 3.3ghz. but im guessing its even easier with the 5400 BE. the thermal paste will already be applied to the HSF, so dw about that. theres alot of tutorials around the place, info is easy to find.

u can even use a 5000+ the get about 3.3ghz. but im guessing its even easier with the 5400 BE. the thermal paste will already be applied to the HSF, so dw about that. theres alot of tutorials around the place, info is easy to find.

Newegg discontinued those :(

My RAM is closest to this
Newegg.com - GeIL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
but considering this is a deactivated product I won't be able to get it, from newegg at least. I have 3 more questions before I make my final choice. Considering that newegg doesn't offer the geil products I need, what would you suggest? I would need 2x1gb. Will all this work fine with my 500 watt PSU? Finally, would I have to do any physical modding to the black processor to reach 3.2ghz?

I'm currently using an amd 4200+ clocked at normal speed. I'm looking to grab a 6400+ because I think it is the best I can get with my mobo. Not sure if they are going to add any to this line, or if they will price drop soon to compete.

Why not overclock that to about 2.8ghz if you can and just leave it there? Maybe pick up a cheap heat sink in the process. Or is that not a good idea?

i would just ditch the whole setup and build a something with an E8400 or something....

Yeah but he'd be ditching a dual core set up for a faster dual core set up. Smartest thing he could do is just continue using his current set up until Quads become the new standard. Just wait till the new generation of computing power is unveiled you know what I mean?

he can always add in a quad down the road.

An E8400 is a good 10% faster clock for clock than Conroe, and Conroe is a good 10% faster or more clock for clock compared to AMD....so that's more than 20% faster clock for clock compared to his current setup.

so if he were to get an E8400 and clock it past 4ghz it would be quite a significant upgrade and swapping to a quad if he wants in the future is no problem.

he can always add in a quad down the road.

An E8400 is a good 10% faster clock for clock than Conroe, and Conroe is a good 10% faster or more clock for clock compared to AMD....so that's more than 20% faster clock for clock compared to his current setup.

so if he were to get an E8400 and clock it past 4ghz it would be quite a significant upgrade and swapping to a quad if he wants in the future is no problem.

You got a point guess its worth the upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom