$AU700 Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

azza_1992

Baseband Member
Hi again,

I'm considering upgrading my current computer from...

CPU - Athlon 64 3500+
RAM - 1GB DDR
Video Card - 8600GT 512MB RAM
PSU - 350W? (Can't quite remember)
HDD - 250GB

... with a budget of $AU700.

I plan to keep the case, optical drive and hard drive so the $700 needs to buy a new CPU, RAM, Motherboard, Video Card and possibly Power Supply Unit.

This computer will be used for just about everything, Games (Spore, Sims 2 and 3?, Supreme Commander), Word Processing, Light CAD (AutoCAD, Solid Edge), Music (iTunes) and Web Browsing.

I'm thinking about getting the following parts,
CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz - $226.60
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3R - $134.20
RAM - Corsair DDR2 2GB PC-8500/1066 (2x XMS2 1GB) - $83.60

This leaves $255.60 to buy a video card and power supply unit.

Do I actually need a new power supply unit or is 350W good enough?

Could someone please recommend a Video Card that would match the performance of these part. Would my current 8600GT bottleneck the system if I didn't replace it? Would a 9800GT be wasted on my system?

Also, how big should my power supply be (500W, 600W, etc.)?

I would greatly appreciate any feedback

500w but watts arnt that much of a problem. You need a quality PSU with lots of amps. Anything in the Corsair range will more than meet requirements, other brands such as Antec and CoolerMaster are also good. Id recommend for you a Corsair 520HX.

msy.com.au < Find a shop close to you. Sites crap, but its a very good place. Always a line.

Thanks for that, I've always wondered about MSY. There dodgy site has always put me off buying things from there.

I'm also considering buying things from CentreCom Online. Have you had any experiences there?

I'm probably going to go with the Antec Basiq 500W PSU. It's considerably cheaper that the Corsair 520HX.

Also, in regards to the Video Card, do you think I should replace? Considering that the only games I play are sports or simulator games (EA Sports, Spore(soon), The Sims 3(soon), Cities Unlimited(soon).

If you need more performance you could always upgrade later.

I play most games medium/high and my card is only slightly better than the 8600gt.

As for the power supply if you can get the Corsair 520hx it would be a lot better since the one you said (basiq 500w) may not be that good. The Corsair 520hx is a well recommended psu on these forums since it has strong amps and gives room for upgrades.

If you do want to save some money then look at the Corsair 450vx which is a lower model, but just as great.

Here: Centre Com Online

P.S: The site looks pretty decent and have good prices for Australia (at least comparing them to perth prices) but if you want the best price for each item, check the staticice website i linked.

I'll probably get the 450vx then.

I'm trying to find a place with good prices for all my parts. That way I'll minimise shipping costs. To ship all of those parts from Centre Com Online is $16.

Sounds alright. $16 is nothing really.

If you find your graphics card isn't enough, then you could always go out later and purchase a new one.

I recommend the HD4850.

Sounds like a good idea. I'm getting the feeling that the 8600GT will be fine for me for quite a while. It only has to last me until the end of next year, then its my brother's problem.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom