Ugrading my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

rommel2115

Beta member
Hi

I am looking to upgrade the performance of my PC with parts I want to buy from PC world. I want to upgrade the RAM to atleast 2GB, but would prefer 3GB. I would also like to get an external hard drive to boost the memory and I would like to install a XFX GeForce 9800 GT
512MB PCI-E Graphics Card. However, I am not sure whether this would be possible with my current PC... I will add the following details which I have been led to believe are the most important for what I want to do:

Type of Motherboard: DELL REV AO1

Type of RAM: 2x 512MB DDR PC3200CL3. It looks to me as if there are two spare slots into which I can add more RAM. Does this mean that I will have to add another two 512MB DDR PC3200CL3 or could I add, for example two PNY
1GB PC3200
DDR DIMM?

The original PC was a DELL Dimension 8300 and has remained unchained since I bought it apart from the addition of a new graphics card about two years ago.

I am also slightly confused about my processor, most of the latest desktops ive seen have 2.4GHz processors and mine is 3.0Ghz but much older, are the newer processors much better than the old then? Thankyou in advance,
Mike

I'm pretty sure Dell computers offer little space for upgrading. I am sure you will be able to upgrade the RAM and Video card, but other than that it's limited.

Have you got a budget? It may be better just to build a whole new computer. For around $500 we can build you something that will run most games today @ high settings.

Just checked my power supply, i think the output is 307 watts, and the min for the card i want is 400... thats shot that idea down in flames... Well I live in England, my budget is about £300-£400, I don't know what that is in $, but stuff is much cheaper in the US anyway, so I've heard... What I'm really looking to do is get a computer that will run the upcoming games such as Warhammer Online and the upcoming total war at atleast medium settings... could you suggest anything? Thanks very much for your reply :)

Mike

Cool another Warhammer player :D.

I know there is a few people on the forums that live in the UK. Maybe they can give you a link to a good site for purchasing parts.

£300-£400 should be about $550-$650 American.

Hello,

Go to crucial.com and have them scan your system. They will give you your best option on how to get the most RAM.

As for the Video card you would most definitely need to upgrade your PSU to even consider a new GFX Card. I have a Dimension 8400 and i have replaced my PSU to accomidate my hardware.

Also your mobo doesnt support PCie. You can only get a AGP or PCI video card. So basically the option to get a 9800 is out the door.

Would be better off just buying and building a new system.

Cheers,
Mak

Would be better off just buying and building a new system.

surprises.smileysmiley.com.54.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom