Corrupt Windows file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raekwon

Daemon Poster
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe

I'm runninn XP Pro. this little bastard is really really annoying, every time i try to open a program, a dialogue box appears for less than a second with this directory on it. i cant even open some programs while others still open normally with this dialogue box at the start. If i remove this file from "system32" it says cant find "rundll32.exe" then i removed that to see what would happen and it repairs both files and goes back to "normal"
anyone got any ideas on what to do? i think i will have to do a repair of windows... i think i should do one anyway, but now that this has started happening, i have a valid reason. not that i need one to repair windows. lol :p

if you have your windows XP CD try - start -> Run -> SFC /scannow

Let that do its thing, then reboot.

If that doesnt work, then perhpas try restoring to a time when it did work?

If that doesnt work, then you might want to run the repair by booting off the windows XP CD.

yes do a scan as mentioned abve but never ever delete a file from the system32 folder if you don't know what it is. basically you just deleted the ccommand prompt application, not a good thing. you should be able to replace it through your Windows CD after the scan.

well, not actually deleted, i do know what it does, its the central command prompt. all commands, "exe" and otherwise go through this before sent to be processed. i didnt delete it, i removed it, and then even if i had deleted it, windows repairs itself and replaced them even before i could put them back.

ok, i tried running that, and i just comes up with the same thing, which, by the way looks like this:

im running "diskeeper lite" at the moment on the computer, and its only done 1% in about 30mins, because i havent had to do it on my computer yet, because i havent had it for very long, i dont know if this is this really slow, or is it normal? im going to do a repair from the windows CD when i get it back...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom