After Transferring Rig to New Case, Having Boot Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a SATA hard drive, so that's not a problem ^.^

But yeah, it could be dead, but it still kind of "whirs" up, so I'm not 100% sure.

Any foolproof ways to check?

And thanks for all the help Mak :D

Hello,

Alright being SATA you dont have jumpers to worry about. I would then say it could be your PSU. It could be dead or dying. IT could also be underpowered.

But if you used it before i wouldnt be so sure.

Are you sure that the mother board is grounded properly and not getting shorted anywhere? You used the brass standoffs correct?

Test the hard drive in another system if you can. If it works there then it is somethign with your setup.

Cheers,
Mak

Alright, yeah, the PSU is definitely not the problem, it's the famous corsair 620w and it has served me well for ages. As for the mobo, I used the mounting screws, but I missed one or two holes, I don't know if that could mess me up, but it seems unlikely seeing as the green light on the Mobo never flickers and everything else powers up nicely. I'll try and test it on another computer, hold on a sec ;D

Hello,

It could be that it is not fully grounded not having those couple missing mounting screws. But try to see if another PC can access the drive. If so then i would say that the mobo isnt fully grounded and that would be part of the issue.

Cheers,
Mak

Other PC can't recognize it, seems my HD is dead.

Phooey.

Curse you Western Digital! Any brands you guys would recommend for me? I'm only looking for a 150-300g HD.

Also, took the HD out of the other computer and put it in mine, it booted but then bluescreened, so I'm pretty sure my Mobo is working. Blegh. Anyways, thanks mak, even if you did make me figure out my HD is dead :D

Hello,

Sorry that stinks that your hard drive died. I have had several WD HDD's and they all were great for me. How old was it? But Seagate is a good brand to check out.

Cheers,
Mak

'Bout a year old, I guess I just chipped something when switching cases, blegh.

Having a debate with myself whether I should just wait forever and buy from Newegg and get something really nice, or just drive to Circuit City and get one quick :D

Hello,

You can go to the Western Digital site and try some of their hard drive tools to see if you can get the drive working again. It is worth a shot.

Cheers,
Mak

Fantastic, now I have a new problem.

When I boot up, usb's won't work. I can't get into bios because my danged keyboard won't work.

I've tried re-arranging the USB pin connector every which way, nothing works. >.<

One of the ways I've plugged it in even told me that the USB was "over current" and I had to shut down. Ugh. Mak, have any snazzy pictures with the correct way to plug the USB pin thing in? D:

Hello,

The mother board manual should give you the correct layout for how the USB wires should hook up to a mobo.

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom