New built computer FREEZES please help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK here is the latest the computer was working fine for almost 4 days straight and was sill working great till i was going to check the bios and did a restart. Well i missed the precious button to get into bios so it started booting up and i got the black screen again. Worked great until i rebooted. I did this a couple times couldn't get into windows so i did boot from last known good configurations and we are back in windows. This is a post i got from a someone which i was going to try out. Here it is

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Don't swap out your memory just yet.....I clicked on the link of your RAM that you bought on the first page....it seems some have some problems like you.

The RAM specifications indicates that it runs at 4-4-4-12 timings at 2.2v.

Quote from a user that reviewed the same product on the link:

".....Reviewed By: Alec on 8/6/2008

Pros: Great Ram, running this on my gaming rig, with a mobo that only runs up to 1.95 v for the RAM. says it needs 2.2 v to run at 4-4-4-12 but i was able to force the timing down to 4-4-4-12 @ 1.95 v. runs fast!
Cons: None atm, besides that its marked at 2.2v needed, a little high......"

There you go...the user indicated that tweaking your RAM a slight bit in the BIOS and changing the RAM settings from Auto to Manual and then change the values to 4-4-4-12and see if it works....I guess it would...if you know how to change the values that is!

(You can repost back if you do not know how to, ad I can guide you through)

Another thing is that, it the above process didn't work for you....you can purchase the other Crucial Ballistix RAM from the link you posted above....although I would have recommended you getting the G./Skill one, but I know many ppl who have issues trying to get the RAM to work with some LE (Low End) motherboards such as yours....so you may try the other Crucial one.....if the above process I explained did not work for you!

You need BIOS update?

Heres the link for you, and remember when updating your BIOS to the latest revision...don't update it to Beta ones.....< trust me on this one....instead always update to the latest non Beta revision...and all is well by then

Link: http://support.asus.com/download/dow...s&model=P5K-VM

(^ Do note that the link above is a global download page for your motherboard..meaning that you can download any updates from the link above provided!)

And feel free to reply back if any new discoveries has been discovered or help required!

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

So i tried changing this setting in the bios and this is how i did it.

I was able to change the DRAM Timing Control in the bios...It was set up like this before doing anything

CAS# Latency [5]
RAS# to CAS# Delay [5 DRAM Clocks]
RAS# Precharge [5 DRAM Clocks]
RAS# Activate to Precharge [9 DRAM Clocks]

I then changed these settings to 4,4,4,12 which was talked about in the post. Is this correct...does any body know? The 4,4,4,12 are the settings that are currently running right now and windows is up and running with one stick.

About changing the voltage of the memory that KurrentEweser mentioned. I am not sure exactly how to do that in the bios. Could you advice me on that. I might need to update my bios...I know there is an update. Please let me know if these settings sound right before it is too late. Thanks

About changing the voltage of the memory that KurrentEweser mentioned. I am not sure exactly how to do that in the bios. Could you advice me on that. I might need to update my bios...I know there is an update. Please let me know if these settings sound right before it is too late. Thanks

Page 2-20 in your manual will tell how to set the voltage.

OK I read through the manual and looked at the bios configuration page which was like in section 2. However the manual shows something like DRAM Voltage. I didn't see that anywhere. I saw DRAM static read and many of the other settings. I can change the frequency of the DRAM from say ddr2 800 to ddr2 667. That is set to auto but I get no option to change the voltage of the DRAM. Would I need to update the bios or what? Do you know if i set the settings right as posted in my post stating the 4,4,4,12. I just don't want the omputer to get messed up by changing those figures from 5,5,5,9 to 4,4,4,12.

OK I am definitely needing some help guys! I flashed the BIOS with the newest update and I am still not able to change the voltage on the DRAM their is not a section in the bios for this. I believe I have it the DRAM timing set to 4,4,4,12 which if you read the recent posts will show how I did that. But I am not sure what it did if it did anything. The issue possibly for those of you who may not have read is that we believe that the voltage for the memory operates at 2.2volts and the maximum voltage which the motherboard supplies for the memory is a max of 2.1volts. Can this be the issue that is causing all the hassle? Even though I am only running on memory stick and still having trouble. Please help I am running out of time, patience, and just very frustrated with this situation. Anyone have any thoughts that can help with the solution. Please I need your help!!!

Hey I posted some pictures of the BIOS screen of the changes I made and the DRAM voltage. Any thoughts...

You can look at them here at this forum..

OK this is an update. I am feeling confident it has to do with the memory in some way. Possibly voltage or memory and motherboard combination not working well together. The motherboard ram slots operate at 2.1 volts max and the memory operates at 2.2volts. Tried to lower the voltage by .1 on the memory in the bios but got an overclocking error most likely I am doing something wrong. Not sure with my FSB should be set to. I have pictures of the bios located at this forum that you can look at and see what is going on

Currently right now i decided to put both sticks of memory in but in the two black slots. I have the bios set to 4,4,4,12 for the DRAM Timing. I also checked and it is using Dual Channel configuration. The system booted up which it has many times in the past with both sticks in but never lasts more than three days. I have never tried it in the black slots with the new bios configurations so I will see how this plays out. I am also running Prime95 to see if i get any errors. Any thoughts or suggestions about the voltage or what the problem can be. Please this has gone on WAY TO LONG.

OK this is an update. I am feeling confident it has to do with the memory in some way. Possibly voltage or memory and motherboard combination not working well together. The motherboard ram slots operate at 2.1 volts max and the memory operates at 2.2volts. Tried to lower the voltage by .1 on the memory in the bios but got an overclocking error most likely I am doing something wrong. Not sure with my FSB should be set to. I have pictures of the bios located at this forum that you can look at and see what is going on

Currently right now i decided to put both sticks of memory in but in the two black slots. I have the bios set to 4,4,4,12 for the DRAM Timing. I also checked and it is using Dual Channel configuration. The system booted up which it has many times in the past with both sticks in but never lasts more than three days. I have never tried it in the black slots with the new bios configurations so I will see how this plays out. I am also running Prime95 to see if i get any errors. Any thoughts or suggestions about the voltage or what the problem can be. Please this has gone on WAY TO LONG.

im telling you that your switching of the mem sticks to the other channel will have a good chance of fixing your problems.... i had the same symptoms on a computer I built for my buddy.

he had a q6600, ballistix 2x1gb 1066, 8800GT.........
Vista would crash and ultimately die on every bootup after 3-5 days of use.
I would have to reinstall vista everytime trying a new method to maybe fix the computer..
Until the switching channels work.... just like a magic trick or something....

goodluck

GREAT well I am in the process of trying this right now. I have the two ram sticks in the black slots. I have also be running a stress test at the same time to see if any problems arise. So far none and it has been testing it for about an hour. Thanks for the tip and hopefully you are right. I would love for it to FINALLY be fixed!!!

Well I tried installing the two memory sticks into the computer at the same time. Putting one in the first black RAM slot and the second stick in the second black RAM slot. It didn't last a full day and I end up with a black screen. I tried rebooting and it continues to give me the black screen. I did boot from last known good configuration and still a black screen. I even tried taking one of the memory sticks out and still nothing but a black screen. Looks like I will have to reformat which is ok but does anyone have any thoughts of things to try.

I truly believe you are beating a dead horse. I would get that G.SKILL ram from Newegg. 3 reviews show success with your model of motherboard.

Well sorry I got the post after talking with Crucial. They said that I WOULD NEED to get memory that was operating at less that 2.1 Volts. I also found out that they aren't even selling the memory I have now any more. They are trading this particular model in for the exact same thing with less voltage anyways lol. So I will still post what happens when i get the new memory. They will be shipping it right away hopefully lol and I will put both sticks in and I will also format the machine just to make sure there is nothing wrong. Just want to start brand NEW! Anyways thanks for the help and hopefully this will be the fix.

Hello everyone the problem is SOLVED!!! I have swapped out my memory for the same size and type the only difference being that it operates at 2.1 volts. Thanks for all your help!!! It has now been running for about 8 days straight!! I have installed all the updates, programs, and drivers. Everything is working flawlessly. Thanks again for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom