Quesiton about Hardware!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonDawg92

Solid State Member
Ok, so currently, I have:

AMD Athlon XP 2400+
2.01 GHz

I'm not a hardware genius, so I do not know if that is good or bad. Anyway, I'm trying to install Adobe After Effects CS3, but it is telling me that I need CPU Extension SSE2. What does that mean? Is there an online update I can download, or do I have to get a whole new processor? Thanks!

CPU's can only do certain instructions...and SSE2 is a type of instruction, which your's obviously can't do :(

you'll have to get a new processor :(

Thanks, but would I have to repalce my whole computer, or is it kind of a switcharoo type of thing. You know, like taking out your old graphics card and installing a new one?

Switching processors all depends on what you're upgrading to. Certain processors require matching socket motherboards, as in, every processor has a socket type, which the motherboard must be compatible with. You may be able to find another processor that fits your socket (I think the AMD Athlon XP 2400+ is a Socket A processor, but I can't remember...then again it could have multiple socket versions...anyway, you may want to do some research on that if you plan on keeping your same motherboard). To find out what sockets your motherboard supports, simply find the brand and model number and Google it, and I'm sure you'll find a processor compatibility list.

Hope that helps!

-Chase-

yes that is a socket A processor and no it does not support sse2. i beleive socket 754 would be the oldest AMD socket to support sse2, thats one generation newer than the socket A cpus.
its time to upgrade, my friend. that thing is a dinosaur. put it out to the folding @ home pasture and build yourself a new rig.

^there would be no point to put that to folding, it would only be able to run the standard client and it would not be worth the extra on the elec bill. (hehe, my parents still have a socket A computer)

yeah i have one too and it may one day cure cancer. then it would have been worth that extra money :)

Haha, how amazing would that be if a Socket A processor derived a cure for cancer? I have one sitting right next to me as a matter or fact, mind you that it isn't on at the very moment.

-Chase-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom