Extra IDE Drive Unrecognised

Status
Not open for further replies.

murdocsvan

Web Programmer
Heres my problem:

I have 3 hard drives an one DVD drive in my computer. The specs are as follows:

1x 80GB IDE drive (has main windows installation)
1x 320GB SATA drive
1x 500GB IDE drive (blank)
1x DVD Drive IDE

480W Generic PSU
Gigabyte N650SLI-DS4

Now the problem is that the 500GB drive is new, and thats what i cant get to work. On one IDE channel i have the 500GB as slave, and the 80GB as master, and on the other i just have the DVD drive as master.

The bios seems to be unable to recognise the 80GB if the 500GB is in and powered on. If i connect both of them, then the computer just freezes on the CMOS flash page.

I think it might be a problem with the power supply.

Sorry if i cant be more descriptive.

I would slave the DVD to the 80gb drive. And put the 500gb as master on the secondary controller for testing purposes.

Hello,

What is your PSU rated at and how good of a PSU is it? Do you have enough 12V rails on there to support what you are running?

Cheers,
Mak

Okay. I dont know if i can get it on its own though. Ill still need the 80GB in the equation to boot up with. All i want to ulltimately do is clone the 80GB to the 500GB, then take the 80GB out, and use it externally.

I actually think Mac may be on to something. Ill try takling the rail from the DVD drive and putting it in the 500gb. I wont need the DVD to clone the HDD. Ill post back here with results.

Okay. I dont know if i can get it on its own though. Ill still need the 80GB in the equation to boot up with. All i want to ulltimately do is clone the 80GB to the 500GB, then take the 80GB out, and use it externally.

I actually think Mac may be on to something. Ill try takling the rail from the DVD drive and putting it in the 500gb. I wont need the DVD to clone the HDD. Ill post back here with results.

Move the IDE cable from the DVD drive to the 500gb drive while you are at it. Don't forget to set the 500gb drive to master.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom