New built computer FREEZES please help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the old computer run well before you replaced the motherboard? If so your new motherboard could have gone bad. Otherwise you could have carried over a defective piece of hardware over to the new system.

i know this sounds weird and far out.......
but i FIXED a computer with suffering from the SAME symptoms with the following method..

shifting his dual channel config to a different channel...

your mobo should have yellow and black ram slots.. correct?
and if you were performance savvy you problem put them in the 1st and 3rd slot?
well, an easy fix for you would be to place the RAM in the 2nd and 4th slot, and reinstall windows...

give it a shot, who knows it might work........

This sounds good...I have put the sticks in the yellow slots so i can just switch them to the black slots...However right now I am trying them with on stick of memory. I didn't have to reinstall the OS right now it is still able to boot up even after it was recovered. So i am running it to see if it crashes again like this. If it works for a couple of days then I will try and put both sticks in the black slots and run it again.

OK I had another issue today...I noticed the computer start to restart on its own again and end up at a black screen. I immediately shut down the computer by holding the power button and turned it back on with the same issue which is it came to a black screen and never went to windows. So I shut the machine off for a few minutes while i changed from one memory stick to another and turned it back on. The computer booted to windows with no errors. I will continue to run the computer with this one stick for a few days to see if i get any more restarts or errors.

Did the old computer run well before you replaced the motherboard? If so your new motherboard could have gone bad. Otherwise you could have carried over a defective piece of hardware over to the new system.

Sorry I didn't see this post at first. Well no the old system did not work before. What we did is got a P4 system that most likely had a bad motherboard. So what we did is replaced EVERY PART with exception of the processor and heatsink. Everything was changed. So I don't suspect that we have put damaged hardware from the old machine into the new one unless it is the processor. Now there good be faulty NEW hardware this i am not sure of but can most likely be the cause.

An Update...I ran the computer with one memory stick and it ran for about a day and crashed. I was able to catch it before do much damage. Then I shut it off took that stick of memory out and put the other stick it. The computer is running windows and has been for a little over a day. Today will be the second day. So currently right now it is running longer than it did with the other stick. However this computer has done great for 3 days without problems then all of a sudden starts restarting or freezing. So my plan is to leave it on with this 1 stick and see if it lasts a week with out restarting or freezing. If it does this then we might be that much closer to solving the issue.

Here is an update for everyone...As of right now the computer has been running with no errors, freezes, or random restarts for two days straight now. I have it running on one ram stick. A few days ago I ran the computer with the first memory stick and the computer froze and started restarting. So i swapped out the memory stick with the other one and it is currently running for two days fine. I will continue to run the computer for a few more days to make sure all the problems are solved.

Since things seem to be working with either stick alone. Try bumping up the DRAM voltage in the bios setup by .1v with both sticks in place.

I just did some research. The ram you bought is 2.2v ram. Your new MB only supplies 2.1v max. So the best you an do is verify the bios is set at 2.1v.

OK this sounds good. Is there a way I can make the voltage from 2.1v to 2.2v in the bios or would I need to update the bios or something like that? I will check when i get home to see what this makes a LOT of sense. Because I didn't ever find any errors on either of the RAM sticks and i ran the test individually. I will definitely check on this and see if it is possible. It won't mess anything up right I have actually never modified the bios in this way before? Thanks for taking the time to do some more research really do appreciate your time!

2.1v is as high as you can go by looking at the manual. Personally I would exchange the ram for a more compatible brand.

OK I did see the voltage being 2.2v on the memory when i looked it up just now on newegg however I am not sure how you found out the max voltage the motherboard will support for the memory. Could you let me know that? I don't mind getting more memory obviously this memory is guaranteed under newegg for a month or two then I will have to go through the company which is most likely what I will need to do. I was looking at this memory here...what do you think. The voltage on here is like 1.8 - 2.0 which should work with the mobo and I won't be losing any speed or size. Although I was wondering do you know what Cas Latency. This is the only difference the memory i have now has 4 and the new memory that i was looking at has 5. Also is it pretty good odds that this is what is causing the issue. The only reason I say this is because the computer is working perfectly fine with this one memory stick however the computer still restarted with the one other memory stick. All I did is have one in at a time. Does this still matter would this affect the voltage? I just don't want to have to go through the trouble of swapping out memory having to wait for it to come in and all of that if there isn't much of a chance that this is the issue. Any feedback on this?

The link to the memory I am looking at swapping it out with.

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Scratch that maybe this memory it is pretty much exactly the same just operates at a lower voltage 2.0v

Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

I was going by the voltage info page 2-20 in your motherboard manual. There are 3 positive reviews at Newegg for the G.Skill ram used on your model of motherboard. Not a bad price either. I'm not an expert in ram timings. I wouldn't worry about the cas 5 rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom