Pc wont boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

zmatt

The Bulldog
Yeah this has really got me confounded. I moved into my dorm today and when I hooked my pc up it refused to boot. It was perfectly fine last night when I put it away. I'm no n00b when it comes to hardware troubleshooting, but this has me worried. First time I turned it on, it came up with an error about no boot device. My first thought was that the Sata connector got knocked loose during transit. So I popped her open and reseated the sata power and data cables. After that when I turn her on she does nothing. Just sits there with fans idling. Nothing on the monitor and the keyboards don't even light up.

So far I have:

Unplugged everything non essential for boot, ie: hard drives, dvd drives
re seated the memory
double checked all power connections.

I also noticed that when I hit the power button it dosent always want to turn on, however I think that is due to the case having a rather cheap power switch, and the failure to power on can be averted if i press hard enough.

Mobo is Biostar TP45
PSU is Corsair 520vx
Both proven reliable devices, I find it hard to believe they would just fail on me.

I have and it had no effect. It occurs to me that I could be suffering from dirty power in the dorm room.

EDIT:
To test to see i fi had dirty power i plugged the machine directly into the wall. Now the keyboard lights up when it starts but it is still unresponsive afterwords. Also sometimes when I start it it turns off as soon as it starts. Is this indicative of dirty power? I haven't had to deal with it before so I'm not sure.

The keyboard gets it's power from the PSUs standby power source. So the keyboard will always have power while the PSUs power switch is on. A quick way to test the case power switch is to short the power header on the motherboard with a screw driver blade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom