Building my first computer - Video Editing

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewisesage

Beta member
Hey guys. I'm currently running on a HP Pavillion I purchased in 2001 and this is the first system I'm building. I need a computer that can handle pretty decent video editing (Going into my first year in film school). In my 2nd year I'll be required to purchase a Macbook pro because they teach Final Cut Studio 2 but I also want a good computer for dorm use/vegas editing. This is the current system I'm trying to build, I just want to know if the parts will work with each other (I'm very clueless about hardware but after much research this is the current build of the pc I want:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core Processor LGA775 Kentsfield 2.40GHZ 1066FSB 8MB

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 PCI-E

Mobo: ASUS P5Q Pro ATX LGA775 P45 DDR2 2PCI-E16 Crossfire 3PCI-E1 2PCI SATA2 Sound GBLAN eSATA

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB Hard Drive x 2

RAM: Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X4096-6400C5 4GB DDR2 2X2GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL 5-5-5-18 240PIN

DVD Writer: Samsung SH-S203N Black SATA DVD+RW 20X8X16 DVD-RW 20X6X16 DL18X/12X Lightscribe DVD Writer OEM W/ SW

Monitor: Acer X193WB Black 19IN Widescreen LCD Monitor 1440X900 2000:1 5MS VGA x 2

As you see, I'm trying to build a dual monitor system and I'm still not sure if the video card will support that. Also, as far as case is concerned it should be a mid atx tower right? How would I go with the power source and cooling (fans? liquid?) Any help would be awesome, thanks.

Overall that build look good. If you don't plan on adding a second HD4850 for crossfire in the future you could save some money by getting a Biostar p43 motherboard.

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TP43D2A7 LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

This ram has better timings then the XMS2 you selected.

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

The Corsair 550vx is a great psu and will provide plenty of power for your system.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 Power Supply 90 - 264 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Power Supplies

The Antec 300 is a great case and the two included fans should be plenty of cooling especially if you don't plan on overclocking.

Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Thanks for the reply. I live in Canada and the website I'm using is NCIX to purchase so NewEgg is a nogo for me. As far the ram goes, it's either the corsair or ocz gold. The power supply and the cooling seemed to be around what I was looking for so thanks for linking to the actual models. Thanks again for your reply.

I won't be overclocking my pc btw. Those can fit in my budget since they're only 74 after mail-in-rebates. So those are better than the corsairs huh? Hmm. My main issue is with compatibility. Since I've never built a computer before I don't know if each part will work with the other.

edit:
will this case work too?
NCIX.com - Buy Coolermaster CM 690 Mid Tower Black ATX Case 5X5.25 5X3.5INT No PS Front USB Sound Firewire & eSATA - RC-690-KKN1 In Canada.

and as far as power's concerned, what should i be looking for, 500? 550? 600? will it matter if i get over how much i need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom