Think im to far behind to upgrade need advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaytonaCharger06

Solid State Member
Hello! New to the boards and I did read through the stickys but I am still lost.

Been about 4 years since I had this computer built so excuse me if some of this doesnt sound right. I am currently running a 3.06 pentium 4 with hyper threading, 5950 Ultra Video Card, sata raid 150g hard drive with DDR and 1g of ram. Looking to upgrade for New games specifically mmorpgs and shooters and would like to be able to play blue rays and movies on a HD TV(not looking for exceptional quality). I am also looking for this upgrade to last me a few years like my last one did.

Been looking around and I am all over the freaking place with estimates about a 1k difference. My budget is less than 2k and I dont need a DVD / disc drive as I plan to buy the Blue ray at a later date.

So here are my thoughts so far...

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

w/ASUS Rampage Extreme LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
The Ultimate Overclocking Board for Tweaking Fun

Newegg.com - ASUS Rampage Extreme LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Combo Deal = 684.00

or

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield 2.66GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield 2.66GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

w/ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Newegg.com - ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Seems like in this case better off just getting the more exspensive one or maybe AMD instead? Since I have read mixed reviews about the formula.

IF I did get the top of the line one I have listed could some one please give me some ideas for Power supply, Hard drive, Memory (want 4g at least), and video card(s) depending on price might get 2 right off the bat? Was looking at 8800 GT or something similar and would like to be able to run SLI and 2 cards if I want to buy another card later on.

Last but not least cooling? Dont want to skip on cooling but again not sure what I need with this kind of gear.

Sorry for the life story....:D

option A: wait a few months for nehalem

option B: get a Q6600 or a Q9550 (depends how much you want to chuck out) and get a good P45 board. Neither of the boards you selected can do SLI...so rule that out (crossfire is still an option) and get a 4850..it'll be able to max out any game you want to play on a good res

I really want to get this up and running by the end of september for the launch of a new game that I dont think my old one will run to well.

Option B: I was looking at the Q9550 since it has come so far down in price. $329 so far is the cheapest I found it...

Do you think its worth it to go crossfire or SLI? Been so far out of loop really have no idea how much it benifits gaming etc.

Thanks for your help!

option A: wait a few months for nehalem

option B: get a Q6600 or a Q9550 (depends how much you want to chuck out) and get a good P45 board. Neither of the boards you selected can do SLI...so rule that out (crossfire is still an option) and get a 4850..it'll be able to max out any game you want to play on a good res

Thank you SirCyber for the parts list. Going to check all the things out right now. Whats your opinion on crossfire or SLI? Worth the extra money for video cards etc?

I'm not really of opinion on which was better. I started building when nVidea was top, and know how SLI works. not really on how SLI works vs Crossfire. however, the ati card is top right now, and should be extremely good when crossfired with another one. I'm still dealing with SLI, but I've also got a board that supports SLI and not Crossfire. as far as that CPU goes, it's an easy overclocker, one of the most popular right now, and getting it up to the speeds of the q9550 is relatively easy.

i wouldn't get reapers for the ram...
they dont like to play nice (ie they dont overclock that well) withthe p45 mobos.
mine dont do that well, anyway, and i have been researching it a little and others have the same problems. most mobos they will go 1200+mhz (from ddr2 1066), but with a p45 the limit seems to be about 1150mhz.
but they look SWEET.
SLI/Crossfire is great if you have the money and play on a 24" or bigger screen. thats if you are going to put in two high end cards. anything smaller than that you will be fine with a single high end card. or two sli'd mid range cards. given the choice, choose one high end over two mid range/low end.

SLI / Crossfire

Does not appear there is to much difference from what I read. Looks like it would be unnoticable for what im doing between the 2. And the CPU you mentioned seems to really be one **** of deal everyone loves it. off to do some more research!

I'm not really of opinion on which was better. I started building when nVidea was top, and know how SLI works. not really on how SLI works vs Crossfire. however, the ati card is top right now, and should be extremely good when crossfired with another one. I'm still dealing with SLI, but I've also got a board that supports SLI and not Crossfire. as far as that CPU goes, it's an easy overclocker, one of the most popular right now, and getting it up to the speeds of the q9550 is relatively easy.

You find any others in your research that did take OCing well? Would like to avoid any issues.

My personal screen is a Sony 20.1 LCD (upgrading in december past 24") but I would like to run movies and maybe even games like warhammer (where targeting etc doesnt matter so much) if possible on a 40-50 HD TV.

I am trying to stay as close to 1-1.5k for the first purchase with plenty of money later for upgrades. So I guess I can get a High end card now since I was going to buy 2 and then get another when they come down in a few months.

Any suggestions? Im liking Sircybers 4850 but open to suggestions.

i wouldn't get reapers for the ram...
they dont like to play nice (ie they dont overclock that well) withthe p45 mobos.
mine dont do that well, anyway, and i have been researching it a little and others have the same problems. most mobos they will go 1200+mhz (from ddr2 1066), but with a p45 the limit seems to be about 1150mhz.
but they look SWEET.
SLI/Crossfire is great if you have the money and play on a 24" or bigger screen. thats if you are going to put in two high end cards. anything smaller than that you will be fine with a single high end card. or two sli'd mid range cards. given the choice, choose one high end over two mid range/low end.

You find any others in your research that did take OCing well? Would like to avoid any issues.

i may get flamed for this lol but i had some corsair xms2 ddr2800 C4 that would do close to 1200mhz.

im not saying that reapers are not good ram, they are. they just dont seem to OC well with p45 chipsets.

gskill 1066 is also pretty awesome from what i have read.

I'm still up in arms about motherboards. P45 vs. x48. I'm leaning towards the x48 motherboard because of the ability to daul GPUs at 16x speeds compared to the p45 running them at 8x speeds.
-So if you plan on buying just one single Graphics card and never plan on upgrading then get a P45 board, if you plan on adding another card after prices drop get a X48 board.

I was also looking at getting a Q6600 because of all the great reviews and overclocking abilities. But then the Q9550 drop crazy in price and seems more logical to get.

Finally ATI is king of the graphics card world at this moment in time. The HD 4870 video card is an awsome card (under 300 bucks), and they just released a daul gpu card called the HD 4870x2 which is know the king of all graphics cards. but it is 550 bucks right know.

-I would either get the new hd 4870x2 or a 4870. Or wait for the new 1 gig version of the 4870. What ever your price range is the Ati 4000 series is where to shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom