What to do with 2 extra unused PC's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mach1threat

Baseband Member
I currently have my main machine and laptop as a gaminging machines, I have two older computers just sitting around collecting dust. I have extra mice, keyboards, and monitors, but not really enough room to set up another desk in my room. What possibly could i do with these extra computers? Make a server? Sell them? Please help trying to figure out some creative ideas.

Computer specs:

Comp1: AMD AthlonXP 2800, 2 gigs ram, 80 gig hard drive, Geforce 4 TI4800, cd/dvd burner ~350 watt PSU, Winxp pro

Comp2: AMD AthlonXP 2600, 2 gigs ram, 80 gig hard drive, Generic Video card, cd burner ~350 watt PSU, winxp pro

Thanks, and feel free to share your own situation

Fold@Home, make a file server out of them using Abyss Web Server (or another program), use it as a hardware firewall using IPCop or Smoothworld (or others)

Don't bother selling them, you probably could get more use out of them over what you'd do with the money you got from them, unless you used like $200 (after selling both) for a decent GPU

EDIT: I got another use, try to learn Linux or another Operating System

Fold@Home, make a file server out of them using Abyss Web Server (or another program), use it as a hardware firewall using IPCop or Smoothworld (or others)

Don't bother selling them, you probably could get more use out of them over what you'd do with the money you got from them, unless you used like $200 (after selling both) for a decent GPU

EDIT: I got another use, try to learn Linux or another Operating System

All good suggestions, IMO.

Use one as a Linux-box to learn on, and do what wish with the other one).

Could donate one to me. :p

Folding would be good for TF as well. Linux can be done via dual boot....;)

Wow guys, i never even payed folding @ home that much attn, that would be a great idea!!! keep em coming! my connections slow at the moment, but i would like to upgrade within a month. I have cavaleer DSL. It gets me by for gaming and all

Mach1threat, would you be willing to sell one? the generic of the two, I just want it for some experimentation lol. don't need monitor mouse keyboard, just the tower. if willing pm me price, or if you want *LOL* to just donate pm me that too lol!!!!

the linux idea sounds good I have my old amd xp 1800+ running ubuntu 7.10 and it runs way faster than it did with xo or vista. If the computers are too old though use xubuntu which is lighter on resources than regular ubuntu.

I vote file server. Buy a bunch of huge hard drives and put all your storage or backups on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom