excessive no of files

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbp

Baseband Member
Sorry if I'm in the wrong place.
Encountered this prob before. My comp graph shows somewhere in the region of 95% free space. Running Norton today shows upwards of 400,000 files. An increase of 250.000 since two weeks ago. What is going on? Someone suggests that my comp has been hijacked and that part of it (a large part of it) is in someone elses use. What does that mean and how do I locate all of these files.
Barb

Do a properties check on each folder to narrow down the offending folder(s). Examine those folders to see what they contain. Also run Disk Cleanup to get rid unneeded files.

Do a properties check on each folder to narrow down the offending folder(s). Examine those folders to see what they contain. Also run Disk Cleanup to get rid unneeded files.

I've gone through 'search', shows 47000 files on hard drive. A few 100's in documents, nothing to bother about there. I've cleaned disc, defragmented etc. Norton are still scanning upwards of 400.000 files. The bulk of these read item- C:windows\installer\(several different digits following) What are they?
Barb

Apparently is Norton is including files stored in archive, cab, installer files etc. in their total files scanned. It that case there should be nothing to worried about. That's assuming no virus or spyware is found.

My installer folder happens to contain 116 files. My virus scanner says 2701 files for that folder. 400,000 files does seem a bit high thought.

Apparently is Norton is including files stored in archive, cab, installer files etc. in their total files scanned. It that case there should be nothing to worried about. That's assuming no virus or spyware is found.

My installer folder happens to contain 116 files. My virus scanner says 2701 files for that folder. 400,000 files does seem a bit high thought.

It got even higher last time this happened. Someone has suggested that my machine is hijacked. ie. I'm using the kitchen and someone else is occupying three bedrooms and the lounge. What do you think of that? Also can't use the restore facility.
Barb

Are connected to an unsecure wireless router? If you have any shared folders, unshare them. I wouldn't know if your system was hijacked or not.

It's most likely scanning the system files, cookies, temp files, inside archived files (a file that actually has more than one file inside of it), etc. I know everytime I've dealt with Norton, it reports back a huge amount of files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom