SATA to IDE Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluemangroup

Beta member
What do you guys think about this? Is there anything bad about them that I should know about? Because I bought a hard drive for my old computer that used SATA and now I want to use it on my new Dell that uses IDE, so I was thinking instead of buying a whole other HD to just use this adapter.

If you don't mind the slower speeds, then it is okay to use. SATA is faster than IDE, so if you are just using it on an IDE channel you won't be getting the speed benefit that SATA drives were designed for (in which case you might as well of boughten an IDE).

ok, so I tried installing the HD and my computer didn't pick it up. I'm guessing it's because it is set as the master drive, but not running Windows off of it. I'm not familiar with SATA HD's so is setting jumpers on SATA HD's necessary? And the adapter I bought has a 4 pin power connect which I hooked up to the PSU

Edit: I'm thinking the power is my problem, but I don't know what to do I thoguht the 4 pin on the adapter would power the HD since the cable is connected to my PSU. But there's a molex connector that's just there. Here's a picture

349auqv.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom