Please Help With New Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenMachine

In Runtime
I need help with my new build! It's time to upgrade! I'm going to sell my current computer to a friend and I need to fair price, any suggestions? Other than that I just have a few ideas I've been playing around with.. Help is highly valued, thanks!

- Vista Ultimate 64bit
- AMD Phenom Quad Core
- High End Graphics Card(s)

EMPHASIS : Gaming
BUDGET : Current PC Value + $1400

If you have that much money you might as well wait for the new chips to come out (Intel). They are speculated to be between 20-30% faster than current chips.

If your an AMD fan then you could go with something now but, you never no, AMD might lower it's prices.

Btw - Vista Ultimate really isn't worth the extra money, 64 Bit Home Premium would suffice.

I think I will wait then because I've been hearing many people waiting for the performance enhancement. However my current machine will still be sold to my friend, what would you say is a fair price..
cyberpower case w/window
2x1gb corsair dominator 6400
2x8600gt
gigabyte mobo
amd 4600+
700watt ps

ps. I'm most likely going to wait then if those new intel chips are better than the AMD Phenom x4. Ive heard the x3 is just a crappy nonworking x4 anyway. I've been an AMD fan however for the performance I may make a switch to intel in the near future. By that time I will have a bit more money to budget on a pc. Thanks!

Theres really not much reason to wait for nehalem if its going to be a gaming machine. Tests are showing that nehalem is going to be great for rendering and stuff of that nature, but due to the small l1 and l2 cache sizes, its not going to be that great for gaming.

Right now your best bet is going with a solid p45 chipset (x48 if you want crossfire), a q9550, good cpu cooler, 4gb of RAM, (dominators are overpriced for what they are), a solid power supply and depending on the size of your monitor, a 4870 or 4870x2.

Never heard that before :eek:

You could always wait, just incase.

Also the rig i would sell for between $500-$600 (could get more) but it's probably only worth around $400-$500.

~ I thought that the X3 series where pretty good, i saw a review on one and it got similar scores as a E8400, but it has an extra core. What i heard was that the X4 series of AMD are the really bad chips.

Then again i don't no much about AMD.

ur not gonna get much for your computer i tell you now, prob 400-500 at the most. nobody really wants sli 8600gt's.

as for the new computer, u could just upgrade now but i would wait until nehalem (lastanility). but if ur amd fan then the x3's are not too bad. the x4 are nto the best for overclocking though. for high end u really wanna stay intel.

EDIT: just saw above redmoon already suggested price. xD

Np :laughing:

I was talking to a mate who knows more than me in the AMD area and he was saying the lack of L2 Cache was due to the fact of Intel recreating a similar style to the old AMD's which have a great L3 Cache.

He said some other stuff but i don't remember, so don't count out the new chips just yet.

I was thinking around that price maybe a bit higher at 650 but again it's dated, and my friend doesn't really game (not that those cards are great for gaming). Sounds like for a 1500-2000 build I should go with Intel then? I have seen a video talking about the architecture between AMD and Intel Quadcores which concluded AMD was superior in design thus the better processor. Can someone with Intel knowledge recommend a good new setup for the budget? Thanks!

I have seen a video talking about the architecture between AMD and Intel Quadcores which concluded AMD was superior in design thus the better processor.

A few years ago yes, AMD have a great chip design but a few flaws have caused it to fall behind. The newer chips (Intel) look like they will be based of an AMD design.

As mentioned why not wait? You could get a better rig that would last you 5 years, apposed to a rig that will last you 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom