Dell XPS M140 Battery/Charging problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Timely thread...

So a friend calls me up and tells me his laptop won't turn on and they bought a new battery but that wasn't the problem. He says Best Buy told them that the AC plug needed to be resoldered. So he asks me if I'll try my best. Sure why not, he assumes the laptop is dead so if I can fix it great.

Obviously it is a Dell XPS M140 with the dreaded AC plug issue (what a biotch!) Doing a little searching online comes up with many posts, but this is the best forum I found so I want to share and see if we can figure this out together.

Has anyone successfully resoldered the AC plug? I have the motherboard out but I can't see any obvious burnt or broken solder joints.

Cold solder joints are not always visible. Now that you have the board out. Apply a small amount of flux on all the pins on the power jack. Then retouch each joint with a low wattage iron. My suspicions tell me there's more wrong then the power jack.

Last night I've open my laptop to see if I can do enything with this AC plug. Everythinlg looks OK but You can never tell only by looking on it. I'm wondering if its such a common problem why there's no information on official Dell website? or maybe there is?

Last night I've open my laptop to see if I can do enything with this AC plug. Everythinlg looks OK but You can never tell only by looking on it. I'm wondering if its such a common problem why there's no information on official Dell website? or maybe there is?

I saw a thread somewhere that a Dell Tech asked a few questions to someone having problems then decided that plug was broken and the motherboard should be replaced...they weren't very sorry for the obviously major problem with quality control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom