spent 3 hours assembling them, and well.. something failed

and I can't figure out what it is.

The specs:
BioStar TA770A2 Motherboard
AMD Phenom Black Edition 9850
Thermaltake CLpo39 Ruby Orb Cpu heatsink/fan
RAM 4GB: Supertalent Pc6400 DDR2 2 GB x 2
Graphics: Asus 512 MB DDR2 Pci-xpress card
Case coolermaster rc1000 (with 5 chassis fans!!)
Drives: Samsung 200 GB IDE
Samsung 160 GB SATA , HTDL DVDRW DL IDE
Optional cards: None

Basically I've put in just the basics, assembled everything.

Started it up...
Everything seemed ok... CPU temp reading is 40 degrees

Celcius..

When I boot XP Pro disc for install, it does the "Setup is

copying files" and half way thru it freezes and doesn't

respond to CTRLALTDEL..

When I try Vista Ultimate/Business boot disc for install, I

get past the initial menu, and then Blue screen of death..
Memory_Check_Exception and a bunch of codes I will look them

up and post later if necessary. And this blue screen error

is so far consistent tried it 4-5 times.

I tried to look these up but mostly say the same thing Could

me memory, could be heatsink, could be parity, ecc, or some

stuff but doesn't give me more human answers..
so I come to you in frustration..

I hope someone can help me troubleshoot this...

Thanks guys!!

Ryan

i dunno about the AMD's but 40*C in bios after doing nothing seems a bit high. Check ur CPU heat sink is on properly and you have the right amount of thermal paste on it. follow the manufactures instructions. too much isnt always good, neither is not enough.
After that and its still BSOD'ing, maybe you've got some bad sticks of RAM, try one at a time. other than that, i dunno. maybe some of the other guys can help u further.

So you think 40 c is bit high in Bios mode right? Well atleast we're thinking in the same way. I was also going to unplug everything and put them on one by one to see where it fails, but the CPU/heatsink thing may be related..
Basically, i donno if u've seen the Thermaltake ruby orb but its a cool heatsink kinda shaped like a speaker.. and u have to put some separate clamp type things next to the CPU in order to fit the heatsink on top of that.. however the clamps they gave me weren't the right size meaning the screws from the heatsink couldn't reach the hole, so i used different screws.. it did fit however i had doubts..
but becuz u too seem to think 40 is bit too much in just POST bios mode, then it must be related to the heatsink placement. i will look into that. any other thoughts let me know. also u know where i can find out what the right CPU temp should be for a quad core phenom processor? i couldn't find out... cheers

hey

i've just rechecked the cpu/heatsink and even though its not using the original screws, it seems to be well secure and the thermal compound is applied as suggested. i've also done a bit of research and apparantly 40 c is pretty normal idle temperature for a quad core.

what say?

i'm trying it with just one HDD now.. still get error.. i'm going to try with one ram now..

btw the blue screen error code is

machine_check_exception

stop: 0x00000003, 0x8bd59328, 0xb4000000 , 0x00000833

no
xp sp2 disc tries to "copy files needed for windows install" but hangs half way thru before actually copying.. xp doesn't give any error msg just gets stuck non responsive..

also tried vista ultimate and thats when i get this error..

trying with one ram.. still the same problem when i do vista setup... btw also checking the cpu tempurature n stuff on bios.. computer has been on for more than 20 mins and cpu temperate on idle in bios is 34 degrees c.
problem only seems to happen when i try to install OS so not sure where to go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom