External hard drive, help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Covertune

Beta member
We have a hard drive with info that we need to access... so we bought a "GXT Digital Pro ESATA II plus USB 2.0, 3.5"" external enclosure. Got the HD put in there, plugged it in, and nothing happens. We have tried on two seperate computers. They recognize that there is something in the USB port, and the computer says all the drivers are up to date, but we can't actually find the hard drive on the computer anywhere.

Help please!

Why is this hard drive out of the original case? Was there a computer failure that prompted you to use this external enclosure? I'm thinking if there was that your drive had a head crash or is failing so that no other OS can detect the drive.

Double check to ensure that you have all of the connections right in the enclosure, but more than likely you (or someone) took this drive out of a computer b/c it was failing or failed, which would lead me to believe it was the hard drive that crashed.

Is the drive making any funny sounds like a clicking? will it be recognised by the orginal machine it was in?

This is from a business, the hard drive was shipped to us from another office so that we could get the necessary files from it.

It doesn't make any noises.

I would have just used the IDE/SATA cables that you get in a repair kit. I would purchase an entire enclosure just to take files off a drive you aren't going to use (save you some money next time :)).

That is my point though, this is a hard drive someone took off a computer that was or did fail. So who's to say that it wasn't the hard drive that failed? Which would explain why hooking it up to a new computer (either through external enclosure, installing it internally, or connecting the IDE/SATA cable to it) didn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom